• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voluntary Termination advice

Sounds like a good idea, but what will happen after the week if they don't turn up to collect? You will need to make sure to spell it out to them that they will need to arrange for their own insurance cover, just so there is no misunderstanding!

You've given them a reasonable amount of time and being even more reasonable by storing it for a further week so if they don't do anything then it's their own fault. Just be clear and spell everything out to them, perhaps mark the email subject line as urgent too.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Okeedoke, glad to hear that's all above board! Just the nerve wracking part where I wait for them to decide to wrack up fees for me to contest now!

Thanks again Rob

Comment

Does this sound OK [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] ?

Dear Mr Smith,*

Following on from my previous email sent on the 20th of September. I have allowed seven days and have yet to receive a response regarding the collection of the vehicle.*

I am contacting you to inform you that as of today I will be terminating the insurance for the car. I am not obliged to keep the car insured as the agreement was cancelled with immediate effect when I sent you my original correspondence. I am willing to store the car in a locked garage for a further seven days to allow you sufficient time to arrange collection without risk of damage that may arise from it being on a public road. After this time the car will moved from the property where it will be stored and the V5 sent to the DVLA to inform them of the change of ownership.*

Please also note that since the agreement has been cancelled, my direct debit is no longer in place. I don't expect a payment to be attempted to be taken.*

I look forward to hearing back from you.*

Kind regards

What do you think? Bases covered?

Comment

I would suggest removing the last line about direct debit, no need to mention if it is already cancelled.

Ordinarily I would allow 14 days with the car taxed and insured before threatening to cancel it though if you are prepared to keep it on private land in a garage for a further 7 days then I would think that is sufficient.

The only thing I would add is for them to contact you to arrange collection i.e.

'Unless I hear back from you before X date to arrange a suitable time to collect the car, I will remove it from storage and park it on a public road outside my address. I will not be responsible for any liability incurred as a result of the vehicle being clamped, removed, damaged or otherwise due to the car having no valid tax or insurance, since you have been given 14 days (which I consider a reasonably sufficient period of time) to arrange collection and you failed to do so.'
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The only reason I need to cancel it is I'm purchasing another vehicle this evening and need to transfer to insurance to the new one.

Great advice as ever, I'll get that amended and sent! If you're ever in Sheffield I need to buy you a pint!

Comment

Its unlikely to happen these days, but I may hold you to it
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi again [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

I contacted the finance company last Friday as I'd still heard nothing back regarding a pick up. He assured me I would be contacted on Monday, which hasn't happened. I have written an email and was hoping you wouldn't mind giving it a once over? As follows -

Dear Mr Smith,

Following on from our previous correspondence, I am writing to inform you that I will be removing the vehicle from storage and moving it to a public road. The vehicle will be available for you to arrange collection from (address). You can call me on (mobile) to arrange a date and time.*

As a courtesy I kept the vehicle in a secure garage for a period of 14 days after the termination of my agreement. After receiving no communication with regards to a pick up, I contacted you to confirm a date. I was assured a call back on the 2nd of October. This did not happen, we are now on the 5th, still with no contact from yourselves.*

I will be sending the V5 to the DVLA today to inform them of the change of ownership as I am no longer willing to accept any liability for a vehicle that I do not own. All liability for any damages incurred from the vehicle being on a public road will now be with yourselves.*

I look forward to hearing from you and getting this matter resolved in a timely manner.*

Regards*

I added the points on the previous call and promise of a pick up date so as to make a record of it as this was in a phone call. Not strictly required for the letter, but I figured if they don't dispute this in a reply I can hold some weight if I need it in future.

What do you think?

Cheers again

Comment

Looks fine to me as a whole.

You might want to consider including the length of time between termination of the agreement today's date e.g. You terminated the agreement on X and, X days later, the vehicle still remains in my possession. This is despite the fact that I have made several attempts to contact you and arrange a time to remove the vehicle ... This position is no longer tenable as I have now obtained another vehicle which is being prevented from being securely stored as a result of your failure to collect the vehicle.

I'd also say that you will notify the DVLA that they are the registered keeper. Personally I wouldn't send it off by post there can be issues with that being lost. You can do it online instead by going to https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle

It is a good idea to include what was said onthe call and you are right, if they don't dispute now it will add some weight at a later date to show that you have been reasonable throughout and it is the lender that has lacked the communication and failed to collect its own car despite giving assurances that a call would be made on 2 October.
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Excellent, I'll get than done today. I'll let you know what excuse they come up with for not bothering to do a single thing!

Comment

Hello [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

I sent that email Sunday, still no reply. I have, however, received letters about being in arrears demanding payments. I'm of course going to call the credit control team, but do you think it would be wise to send the agent I'm dealing with another email to express my dissatisfaction? Possibly even a formal complaint? He assured me on a phone call that no direct debit would be taken.

Cheers

Lee

Comment

Hi again [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

I hope you don't mind me pestering you for advice again. I can understand if you don't want to assist any further! If you're willing though, I was hoping you might offer some advice. The inspectors came this morning. Very professional and independent, so no issues with them. I have, however, got issues with the fees, which I was expecting. If it's ok with you I'm just going to list them and offer my counter arguments to see if you agree..

Corrosion (bubbling paint) on two alloys - £55 each.

Already present when purchasing and a well documented issue with BMW alloys. Cannot be held responsible if already present, and additionally would this fall under wear and tear?
                        Two of back seats soiled, valet required - £55 each (!)
                        Isn't this subjective? And even if not, a full car valet can be done for approximately £50, not £55 per seat
                        Missing key - £141.75
                        Only one key was provided at point of sale
                        Cut in wheel wall - £136.73
                        Again, I'm not sure how they can judge the severity of this, but even if accurate, the purchase and fitting of one standard tyre (not run flat) doesn't even come close. You can purchase basics from Halfords (which is what are currently on the vehicle) for a little over £40.
                        Missing service stamp - £170
                        The service book has a stamp missing, however I have the receipts showing a service was performed, with date and milage on. Can I be charged £170 for a company forgetting to stamp the boom? Even with this aside, the dash shows 450 miles before a service is due, so how can I be liable for that amount of money? The car itself is showing that a service isn't due yet, proof enough that I have taken reasonable care?

There are two larger scratches which I was expecting a fee for. I think they're over priced. These total £113. For a six year old car I will probably attempt to argue these as fair wear and tear. These are, however, the only fees that I think would be fair of them to attempt to claim. The rest are just laughable!

Total - £771.52

To summarise, nearly every one of these charges, in my eyes at least, is ridiculous. Where do you think I stand on disagreeing with these, and how should I go about it? I should add that I refused to sign the report.

I really appreciate your help Rob, and if necessary I am willing to pay for your assistance!

Many thanks in advance

Lee

Comment

So tell them all the items that were damaged/missing when the vehicle was purchased (could they prove otherwise) and you cannot be held liable for improvements to thos conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Leetommy14 View Post
                            The service book has a stamp missing, however I have the receipts showing a service was performed, with date and milage on. Can I be charged £170 for a company forgetting to stamp the boom? Even with this aside, the dash shows 450 miles before a service is due, so how can I be liable for that amount of money? The car itself is showing that a service isn't due yet, proof enough that I have taken reasonable care?
                            Can you not take the paperwork to the garage that did the service & ask them to stamp the book?
                            Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I definitely could ring the garage and see if they can help.

I knew they were going to try to scrape some fees off me, but was amazed at what they came up with!

Comment

Responses in red below

Corrosion (bubbling paint) on two alloys - £55 each.
                                If these are well documented and you have evidence of this then that could be sufficient. Yes you can't be held responsible for something not in your possession - up to them to prove otherwise.

Two of back seats soiled, valet required - £55 each (!)
                                Quite pricey, I'd question why they are charging individually for each alleged soiling and which seems to be on the high side. Depending on how bad, may come within reasonable wear and tear.

Missing key - £141.75
                                up to them to prove that you received two keys, do you have any documentation when you collected that the car included one key?

Cut in wheel wall - £136.73
                                You only need to ensure the car is put in a reasonable condition, so if a compatible tyre less than the cost of this is available, then they should base it on that cost. The courts expect them to mitigate their costs, not increase it.

As already suggested, contact the garage to see if you can get something in writing to show it was serviced, though if you have proof already then that should be sufficient to rebut any argument. Again, the onus is on them to prove the car by reason of a missing service meant you were negligent in taking reasonable care of the care. Personally I don't think a missing service means you were negligent, if there was at least some service history e.g. you had it serviced bar for one year.
                                If you compare your fees/charges against the Cap HPI Conditions in the guide, it would seem on the face of it your car being 6 years old would fall into the average category. Also note the point on there about replacement tyres.
                                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X