• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice needed with regards to apply to get a CCJ set aside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice needed with regards to apply to get a CCJ set aside

Originally posted by catdog1 View Post
    Thanks for the email template and the case law. I sent the email to the Parking Management Company last Thursday but had no reply.

I've attached my witness statement and defence statement. Are you able to have a look at them and offer any advise/comments before I sent it to the courts? I will be ever so grateful.
    Going to read these tonight and get back to you.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re the defence (post #15), the Claimant is not Gladstones; they are the Claimant's solicitors.
      The Claimant is PPM.
      Also, why no mention of your right to quiet enjoyment via the tenancy agreement?
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Personally, both the Defence and Witness Statement is not set out correctly in terms of the heading and that is the first thing that needs to be done. The heading is set out like below.

Secondly, I wouldn't say your defence is adequate as it should set out clearly why the parking company is not entitled to recover the charges from you. Except for a couple of paragraphs you have mixed in some arguments in relation to your set aside application, not to the defence of the actual claim - I think you need to revisit your defence.

Below is a couple of things you might also want to add to the Defence.

1. Question whether the Claimant has the right to manage and enforce any car parking on the land e.g. 'The Defendant makes no admissions as to the Claimant's right to manage and enforce car parking on the land in question and he Defendant requires the Claimant to provide evidence as to the chain of authority.'

2. Notwithstanding the above, you have the right to park there without restriction. The tenancy agreement gives you the unfettered right to use any outside space. As part of the tenancy you were given the express right to a parking space, which is covered by the definition of outside space in the tenancy, without any parking conditions.

3. As Charity has said there is an implied right to quiet enjoyment and so by them interfering with that they are in breach.

4. Other things you mention is that the parking company has no standing to bring a claim in the first place. The sign is not in a fact a offer to contract but rather a prohibited sign. In such case, any breach would amount to a trespass and only the landowner or someone with exclusive possession is entitled to bring such a claim. The parking co. is neither of these and so they don't have a right to bring a claim in their own name.

There's probably more arguments but that's your starting point I think. Your witness statement needs work too in that the heading should be the same as the defence except titled 'Witness Statement of XXXX'.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi both,

I must thank you for your time and comments.

I have made some changes to my witness statement and defence statement however, I am very confused about the, 'right to quiet enjoyment via the tenancy agreement' point. Are you able to explain this further to me?

Many thanks

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to give you some feedback. I sent off all of my documents and recently got a letter stating that my case has been transferred to a local court and they will be in touch with a date and time for the hearing.

The letter was also addressed to the Parking company.

Is this a standard response?

Thanks

Comment

Hi everyone, I really need some advised about my case.

The judge agreed to set aside my CCJ if I defend my claim in the small claims court as the claimant submitted a document showing that they did issue me with a parking ticket and so, I now have the opportunity to defend my claim.

I am unsure how I go about doing this and what the cost would be? are you able to advise?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X