• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cancelling pop on car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling pop on car

Due to medical reasons I have cancelled my pcp with VW Finance. This has been accepted by them. They informed me that I would be contacted by British Motor Auctions within 7 to 10 days to arrange for them to assess the vehicle for damage etc at my home address. I was told that I would then be presented with an invoice for any damage to the vehicle and any excess mileage approximately 14 days from the date of collection. I was informed that I cannot cancel my insurance whilst the car is still in my possession. Likewise I cannot cancel my payments to VW Finance until I get the invoice. They said that it should all be sorted within 28 days.
    Approximately 3 weeks have now passed without a phone call from BMA. I contacted VW Finance today to be told that they had passed my details on to BMA and suggested I rang them to sort it out. I rang BMA today twice. The first occasion I explained the situation but was told the computer had crashed and it needed to be rebooted and would ring back. Said if not in would leave message. No message left. Rang again mid afternoon. I explained once more. I was informed that she was the person who took my first call which she wasn't. She said all my details had been passed to the appropriate dep so they would contact me. I told her tha I hadn't spoken to her and I had not given any info earlier due to computer malfunction. Then said she had got mixed up and would get someone to ring back. No call received.

What is a reasonable time from me informing the finance company to them collecting the vehicle?
    Also I have now got another car more suitable for our needs. This requires insurance but it is twice the price it should be due to the fact I can only have no claims discount on one policy which is on the car in question.
    Lastly the vehicle will require an mot in a couple of weeks. Whose responsibility will that be if it has not been collected by that date?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Tags: None

Re: Cancelling pop on car

How did you cancel the PCP? Was it by Voluntary Termination (VT) having paid over 50% of the cost or are you just surrendering the car to them?

If it was VT then they are telling porkies. There is now no contract in place between you and them and therefore no need to keep paying. If they are being tardy then you can transfer the registration details over to them and then they will be responsible for insurance and tax. Write and tell them you are about to do it.

Wait for others to add comments.

Comment

A question from this.... After VT and hand back of car, how long do the finance company have to write to you regarding any charges (excess mileage etc)? Thank you.

Comment

Strictly speaking, up to 6 years, though the longer they take the better argument you have that they waived their right to claim - this could be argued for example if they suddenly started chasing you after 2 years.

You would expect something within the first 3 months if not up to 6 months but I've not seen anything beyond that time.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

[QUOTE=R0b;749236]Strictly speaking, up to 6 years, though the longer they take the better argument you have that they waived their right to claim - this could be argued for example if they suddenly started chasing you after 2 years.

You would expect something within the first 3 months if not up to 6 months but I've not seen anything beyond that time.

Thank you ! It's only been 2 weeks but hoping they have gone away !!

- - - Updated - - -

I know... im probably wearing rose coloured spectacles !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X