• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help ..me again . Tenant now 4k in arrears and trouble with EO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help ..me again . Tenant now 4k in arrears and trouble with EO

Hi Amethyst the property is owned by me not my hubby... I just don't think I could take seeing a child being thrown out onto the street . I just hope they leave before that date if I have to be there ..
    I know it's the parents job to look after the child but it still breaks my heart at what people will put their kids through

Comment

Bummer, can you take hubby along for support?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst, because of the distance of where I live and the property and running a small animal rescue we always need someone here and can only leave for a couple of hours at any one time.
        Hence no holiday for 11 years !! Hubby will probably be working in the area that day , he usually works in the vicinity 3 days a week and stays there over night for a couple of nights as it's too much of a commute
        Apart from the emotional hassle, if I were to be there it would mean him losing 3 days work as it's right in the middle of his shift pattern and self employed means no pay .
        I'm going to try and ask for him to be my representative as it would only mean losing a couple of hours pay, but not sure if it would be allowed

Comment

Originally posted by bb41 View Post
          Notice of appointment with bailiff has arrived, and I have a problem . It states I have to be there at the time. This is going to be extremely difficult as I live nearly 80 miles away but my husband might be working close by that day... .
          PM me the baillif details your using, you have yto be available ( on phone ) , but am not sure you have to be present. And its realy only incase they ( tenants ) want to negoteate,

The council make this as difficult as possible if the tenants aren't going to be re-homed until eviction day , also my emotional resolve is failing fast especially as a young baby is involved .
          Its not your fault or responcability, .
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
            PM me the baillif details your using, you have yto be available ( on phone ) , but am not sure you have to be present. And its realy only incase they ( tenants ) want to negoteate,

Its not your fault or responcability, .
            Thank you so much CC, what details do you need or shall I just scan it over to you.. They are court appointed bailiffs

Comment

am going to chase someone up this afternoon, just check something in relation to the process at this point around enforcment

The baillifs always ask you to be available, just for curcs like this ( kids involved ), but thats usualy just available on the phone. can you ask them to confirm that you have to be there, not just available on the phone. Make it clear that you cannot negoteate time becuiase your selling and have purchasers lined up and debts increasin on this property

If its stressing you, might be worth asking the property agent ( for the sale ) if they can help, its in there interest to move this along as fast as possible,

But, keep in mind, a number of situations are going to play out across this persons life, the council and social serives ( just like they have the court ). Sit back and dont involve yourself, or dont allow the council to presure you into waiting longer ( unless you can ) . Everyone will try make you fit in there timetables, you have the eviction order, you dont need top negoteate.
              crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

I was going to contact Estate agent today as obviously keys need to be collected , she has attended bailiff properties before so I'm hoping she can take the keys.

I will also give the bailiff office a call as well ... last tenant hurdle and it's still hard.

Comment

Originally posted by bb41
                  CC the law is an arse, not only for people like me who has lost a small fortune but also for the tenant who are caught in a no win situation... This will never sit well with me and will never touch HB again
                  Don't tarnish everyone on HB.

I would say 99% of LL's who have tenants on HB get on well with there LL and get there rent paid on time, it's just the 1 % that cause the problems.

Notice of appointment with bailiff has arrived, and I have a problem . It states I have to be there at the time. This is going to be extremely difficult as I live nearly 80 miles away but my husband might be working close by that day... can I advise them that he can be in attendance ?.

The council make this as difficult as possible if the tenants aren't going to be re-homed until eviction day , also my emotional resolve is failing fast especially as a young baby is involved .
                  I would keep out of the way until the bailiffs have done there job and tenants have gone, do not inter fear while the bailiffs are carrying out the eviction, the tenants may react angry to seeing you or your husband .

Comment

I find it's the councils who are at fault as well as HB, it's the eviction process, court and everything rolled into one sorry mess that's wrong 45002.
                    I hope you are right about staying out of the way as it would probably break my heart... it's a wicked ending and shouldn't have happened

Comment

• do not inter fear while the bailiffs are carrying out the eviction

I find it's the councils who are at fault as well as HB, it's the eviction process, court and everything rolled into one sorry mess that's wrong 45002.
                      I hope you are right about staying out of the way as it would probably break my heart... it's a wicked ending and shouldn't have happened
                      You are in danger of making things worse if you or your Husband turn up to watch.

Bailiff's would advise you to keep out of the way until the tenants have been lawfully removed and are out of the way, then bailiffs would then arrange to hand back the property to you or your Husband.

Comment

That's what I hope for, I just don't understand on the form you have to send back says that I need to be there, I am going to try and arrange for the estate agent to collect the keys that day if at all possible

Comment

I agree that the eviction process seems to be heavily weighted on the side of the tenant, but at is because of the advice that is given by Housing Solutions. HSol always tell tenants -"stay put until the bailiffs arrive" because it delays them having to deal with the situation.

I would say that 90% of the benefits claimants I deal with are good tenants. Most of them get their benefits, pay their LLord and don't give them any trouble. There are some who get into arrears (more than 8wks) and I switch the payments to the LLord.

We don't often come across tenants who vandalise properties like yours has. But I do quite often come across tenants being served Section 21's because they have involved Housing Standards to get essential repairs done and the LLord has retaliated by serving eviction notices.

Here in Stoke we do have a small number of LLords who are just in the rental market for a quick buck, buy run down properties, throw a lick of paint on the walls and then only accept tenants from the most vulnerable classes (addicts, severely disabled, very young adults with children etc).

I think you have been truly unfortunate in that your tenant ended up with a "live-in a…..hole" move in with her. Odds are that he was the origin of all your problems, but that said, please don't get soft just because there is a baby involved. You are not like the LLords I come across, but this has cost you a fortune that you could not afford to spend and it has taken you a long time to get to eviction. Stay resolute and don't let your soft heart rule over common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Wylderose View Post
                            the eviction process seems to be heavily weighted on the side of the tenant, but at is because of the advice that is given by Housing Solutions. HSol always tell tenants -"stay put until the bailiffs arrive" because it delays them having to deal with the situation.
                            I don’t think Housing Teams procrastinate on purpose. If a Tentant moves out voluntarily before the eviction date then they can be seen as “intentionally homeless” so the Local Authority has no legal obligation to rehouse them.

Di

Comment

I honestly believe the whole system needs to be overhauled. I'm sure the HA have an emergency housing stock that can be used for vulnerable tenants especially with young children,

I have sleepless nights worrying about what will become of what once was a happy and on the whole good very longterm tenant.

I had a social worker call me late yesterday and she was not aware of how serious the situation has become.

I have now got to do a timeline of events right up to the present so she can help the tenant... she believes the tenant has put her head in the sand hoping that new partner would help... that has fallen by the wayside ...all he has done is made her situation worse.

If the debt I have accrued wasn't at astronomical heights this could have been avoided, but it's very hard to help some people , it sure isn't because I haven't tried for a solution in over 2 years

There needs to be complete change in the HB tenant/landlord situation as it's both expensive and time consuming but also doesn't help the vulnerable.

I find councils come in far too late and I have always contacted them when payments are slightly late or in arrears .. it's a sorry mess for all of us involved.

As usual I'll keep you all informed but the next couple of weeks are going to be very testing emotionally ... this will teach me for being a softie I need to toughen up a bit so I'm told

Comment

Di, it is sad, but unfortunate that throughout the country the stock of council housing is so depleted that it has become a necessity for Housing Solutions staff to investigate every case that comes in where someone is facing homelessness through eviction to ensure that they have not intentionally contributed to their situation. These investigations really do take time and a huge amount of effort because it involves delving into prior rent history, LLord tenant history, relationship history etc - just to make sure that the tenant has not through their own actions instigated the eviction process.

Before anyone even gets to the point of being interviewed (having already been evicted), they are normally given a list of LLords who will accept Bens claimants without asking for huge deposits, or access to the Bond scheme and their properties. This is done in the hope that the tenant will take the initiative and move out before eviction takes place and places the onus on the council to re-house into very expensive temporary accommodation whilst they conduct their investigations.

Most tenants will move of their own accord but this is never a Win/Win situation for anyone and is always a personal tragedy for all involved. Council procrastination is a necessity but it also causes a lot of stress and misery for all concerned.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X