• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help ..me again . Tenant now 4k in arrears and trouble with EO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help ..me again . Tenant now 4k in arrears and trouble with EO

then you can remove it and replace it without mentioning it to the supplier, that bit is yours.

gimme 2 mins and I will have a quick chat to The Hubby (Mr DIY) and I will tell you where we got ours
    PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

http://meterboxesnow.com/Mitras-Elec...xoCsc8QAvD_BwE

That's where we got ours, but literally type in METER BOX REPLACEMENT in to google and there's loads!
      PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

right thank you ... I'm off to google... even tasks that 2 years ago would have been easy but now seem monumental ....

Comment

Just a small update ... my updates are rarely positive and this is no exception either..so here goes.

The housing benefit I have been receiving for the last couple of months has had a deduction of 94.00 , trying to get through to anyone who is willing to speak to me about it is as rare as hens teeth, but yesterday I had a very nice lady answer my query.

Apparently the tenant had been awarded housing benefit way over what they should have and the deduction will continue for 2 years !!!!!!!!! Immediately I went into panic mode again as 2 more years of 94.00 every 4 weeks equates to rather large amount .

The good news is that when the tenant finally leaves I am not liable for that debt but while the tenant is still living at the property I will effectively be paying the debt off even though it was the tenant who mis informed the benefit office of her change in status

With no hope of ever getting any money off the tenant now or in the future , I find that highly unfair but seems nothing I can do about it and is my problem until tenant vacates .

Going through all the payments yesterday and preparing everything for court the tenant has paid 2 payments of 100.00 since April and I am bringing down her housing benefit debt by nearly 100.00 every 4 weeks

...and people wonder why private landlords won't rent to housing benefit tenants .

Just another bit of decision making re Environmental officer... The kitchen which the tenant has wreaked and where the EO deemed it my responsibility to put right due to fire hazards , I have decided to replace the kitchen straight away . Two reasons is 1, It will need refurbishment before selling so whilst I am getting a small amount in HB it seems cost effective to do it now rather than waiting for the place to be empty and not getting any income from it all and 2, as it's being done before the court date then no one can say that as soon as it was bought to my attention the work was carried out .

Managed to find a builder who will replace and re-tile for 3800 .00 ... but still 3800 that will have to go on a credit card to get it done .

Working out yesterday with new bathroom, kitchen , loss of rent and court fees , the property has cost me in excess of 10k..... lets say I have had better years

Comment

I understand it can feel a drag when things go like this, these types of occurances are few and far between though.

Costs for kitchens and repairs are what you agree TBH, aroudn my area, you get a standard price or a landlords price for kitchens ( my nephew sells interiors ) and refurbs. LLs price is cheeper but you pay fully upfront..

If your selling as soon as the TT is dealt with, its always good to get advice from the estate agent in relation to what works and when. Sometimes they can sort you decent priced contractors.

Get ready for the TTs trying to defend, have you got a court date yet
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Yeah, cracking punishment HB except it only works if the tenant is actually paying their rent!!

I really wouldn't advise putting the new kitchen in before they leave. They're just going to smash it again before leaving and you'll incur the cost all over again.

The repair hasn't been conducted because it was damaged by the tenant maliciously and you have served them with notice, so that's your answer at court. If replaced they would be liable to commit the same malicious damage and with their arrears it would be detrimental to you.
              COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
                I understand it can feel a drag when things go like this, these types of occurances are few and far between though.

Costs for kitchens and repairs are what you agree TBH, aroudn my area, you get a standard price or a landlords price for kitchens ( my nephew sells interiors ) and refurbs. LLs price is cheeper but you pay fully upfront..

If your selling as soon as the TT is dealt with, its always good to get advice from the estate agent in relation to what works and when. Sometimes they can sort you decent priced contractors.

Get ready for the TTs trying to defend, have you got a court date yet
                Court date is for 17th October.... I would like to stop the kitchen but EO is on at me again today , so looks like I have no choice

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
                Yeah, cracking punishment HB except it only works if the tenant is actually paying their rent!!

I really wouldn't advise putting the new kitchen in before they leave. They're just going to smash it again before leaving and you'll incur the cost all over again.

The repair hasn't been conducted because it was damaged by the tenant maliciously and you have served them with notice, so that's your answer at court. If replaced they would be liable to commit the same malicious damage and with their arrears it would be detrimental to you.
                I understand about kitchen refurb but I'm worried their defence will be that it hasn't been done , damned if I do and damned if I don't .

Comment

Bloody EO is threatening me with a criminal act by not sending this stupid Section 16 form... I told her I don't know what the form serves as the house is mortgage free and I'm sole owner ...she is also arranging a site visit in 2 weeks to inspect the refurb .....FUMING

Comment

Are there not specific parts of the kitchen that have been deemed a fire hazard that you can sort out with a temp fix to satisfy the EO until the tenants leave ? ( like the wiring in a plug socket etc ?)
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Is this section 16 form this ?

Originally posted by letter
                      The enclosed notice has been sent to you as I believe that you may have an interest in the property. The notice requires you to declare, within 18 days of the date of this letter, the nature of your interest in the premises and the names and addresses of all persons whom you believe have interests.

Should there be any unavoidable delay in completing the notice then I would ask that you inform this Department in writing within 18 days of the date of this letter. When the completed form is received a receipt will be issued. If you do not receive the receipt within one week of sending the form then please contact us within 5 days of returning the form.

I must advise you that failure to comply with the notice or the making of false statements is an offence and may lead to the consideration of legal proceedings.
                      Originally posted by form
                      Section 16 Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976

Premises: «pname» «padds_line1» «padds_line2», «padds_line3», «padds_line4». «padds_line5»

Please complete this form in respect of the property named above. If the space below is insufficient, additional forms may be obtained from the address shown on the attached notice. Wherever applicable please state whether Mr, Mrs or Miss and forenames should be given in full - NOT INITIALS.

1. What is the name and address of person who receives the ‘Rack Rent’?
                      (This is the ordinary rent and not the ground rent).

This will be the person who receives (rather than collects) 66% (or more) of the market rental value of the property.
                      2. What is the nature of your interest in the house or land?
                      3. Is the person in question 1 an agent? If so, give the name and address of the person for whom he acts.
                      4. What is the name and address of the person(s) entitled to sell the premises?
                      and so on....
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Are there not specific parts of the kitchen that have been deemed a fire hazard that you can sort out with a temp fix to satisfy the EO until the tenants leave ? ( like the wiring in a plug socket etc ?)
                        Not really Amethyst, they have put in a serving hatch badly , it hasn't any plaster work done just some real bad filling over a 2 ft area, that has to come off which will bring the tiles off.

They have moved the cooker by taking down a stud wall and have 2 big holes in the ceiling and the cooker is below the ring main, they have put makeshift work tops with no joining strips making it a germ health hazard and taken units out putting a dishwasher near something else ....and the list goes on

- - - Updated - - -

Is this section 16 form this ?

and so on....
                        yes very similar but not so in-depth, it basically asks who owns the property, who is the mortgage lender and anyone else have an interest in it..... excuse my French but to me it all BS

Comment

Goodness. Okay I can see why a new kitchen seems the only option then, but wouldn't a bit of a rejig and bodge do for now at all ?? Move cooker/dishwasher, put those plastic joining strips on worktops, board up ceiling and hatch ?? Really tough when it is the tenants who have created the issue and are likely to bugger up the new kitchen. Presumably EO are fully aware of that ? Can you discuss temp fixes with EO before going all in to a new kitchen ? How long do you have to do the work ?

Also has the person that quoted you for the install seen the property & includes the ceiling fix and serving hatch fix ?

If it helps ( probably not ) when we kicked tenants out my dad's btl property it cost him about £10k to redo it all, then it got burgled ( Christmas Eve) of the immersion tank and all the copper piping ( pretty much day after he finished ) and cost him another £10k to redo it again ( ceiling collapsed as the immersion tank was tipped out upstairs and water wasn't turned off. Just so you don't feel alone xxxx
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by bb41 View Post
                            yes very similar but not so in-depth, it basically asks who owns the property, who is the mortgage lender and anyone else have an interest in it..... excuse my French but to me it all BS
                            Yip, bureaucracy - just get it filled in and back asap ... you have to play the game I'm afraid.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

On the form front,

just came across an extreme example ( HMO argument )

The tenant, Mr Mohammed Akhter (also of an address in Slough), was prosecuted for providing false information about the occupation of the house. He pleaded not guilty, but was convicted by the Magistrates as follows:

Section 16 Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, providing false information on the S16 form.

Mr Akhter was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £420 plus a victims surcharge of £15. Providing false information about the occupation of the property cost the tenant £2,435 in total.
                              Just so you know, they can push it to magistrates so I'd just get it back xx You really don't want any more hassles to deal with.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Goodness. Okay I can see why a new kitchen seems the only option then, but wouldn't a bit of a rejig and bodge do for now at all ?? Move cooker/dishwasher, put those plastic joining strips on worktops, board up ceiling and hatch ?? Really tough when it is the tenants who have created the issue and are likely to bugger up the new kitchen. Presumably EO are fully aware of that ? Can you discuss temp fixes with EO before going all in to a new kitchen ? How long do you have to do the work ?

Also has the person that quoted you for the install seen the property & includes the ceiling fix and serving hatch fix ?

If it helps ( probably not ) when we kicked tenants out my dad's btl property it cost him about £10k to redo it all, then it got burgled ( Christmas Eve) of the immersion tank and all the copper piping ( pretty much day after he finished ) and cost him another £10k to redo it again ( ceiling collapsed as the immersion tank was tipped out upstairs and water wasn't turned off. Just so you don't feel alone xxxx

God Amethyst, thought mine was tough... a****holes the lot of em.... The problem with a bodge is that I still have to pay a certain amount, the redo again... either way I'm probably stuffed .
                                Timeline is immediate so my hands are tied

- - - Updated - - -

Yip, bureaucracy - just get it filled in and back asap ... you have to play the game I'm afraid.
                                I nearly told the EO to stick the section 16 where the sun will never shine,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X