• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Easyjet Flight Cancellation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easyjet Flight Cancellation

My flight was cancelled and I have submitted a EU261 claim but their response is to reject citing extraordinary circumstances - weather.

Can I have your opinion please?

Pula Airport (Croatia) to London Gatwick
    Flight scheduled to depart 19th Aug 22:00

A storm cloud arrived just before the plane was due to land at Pula, All plane activity stopped until it clears appox 1.5 hours later. a Few planes were grounded (BA, Jet2, Norwegian) and others (Aer Lingus & Easyjet) in the air diverted to other local airports until the storm had passed.

Once the storm had passed all flights took off or came in and went off again apart from Easyjet. Easyjet landed along with other flights but nothing happened.
    We were informed every two hours we would be departing until at 4am the next day I got a text message from Easyjet saying the flight was cancelled and would now depart at 19:00 - a full 21 hours late.

It turns out that the crew would have gone beyond their flying hours had they continued. Yes there was a storm but that moved on fairly quickly and this storm was no surprise, it would have shown up on pre flight checks etc.

I believe that Easyjet were at fault because:

1. They sent a crew with minimum flying hours left, to a destination that they knew would be delayed.
    2. The storm cloud moved on relatively quickly and all other airlines commenced normal operations albeit with slight delays.
    3. Easyjet was not hampered by the weather but due to the flight crew running out of hours. (I refer to No.1 above)
    4. Easyjet were the only airline out of 5 other Pula Airport flights to cancel.

Do you think there's a case worthy here?

They didn't tell us for 6 hours that the flight was cancelled.

Thank you!
    Tags: None

Re: Easyjet Flight Cancellation

Just to play devils advocate

How would they know the plane was going to be delayed ?

The recent hot weather in Europe has caused havoc with flight times , I left Split Airport on 7th August and when we arrived there were several delayed flights.

It is not just the flight landing that is important it is the availability of airspace, landing times ( Birmingham doesn't;t allow flights between 23.00 and 06.00)

Did they feed water and accommodate you - they should have because of EU regulations- use them while you can

I do think it is worth taking it further - you could use ADR https://www.cedr.com/aviation/

or try resolver
    https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/easyjet-complaints

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
      Just to play devils advocate

How would they know the plane was going to be delayed ?
      Hi Warwick, Thanks.

I should imagine that any pre flight checks would have shown the weather at destination. I know just by looking at my phone's weather app the day before that might be delays. My bone of contention would be why, when they knew of the possibility of this disruption, did they send a crew with very limited flying hours left?

I should imagine they run their poor crews up to the limit and their main concern was to get the Gatwick to Pula passengers there but to hell with the return journey. As I said before, all the other airlines just carried on as normal.

Thanks for the links, I will go through to CEDR should I be formally refused with the small risk of a £25 if I lose the appeal. Might even do a small claim against Easyjet if I feel I honestly have a position still.

Comment

I think if the adverse weather conditions was the only reason then Easyjet could probably get away with it because nobody can control the weather and is likely to fall under the extraordinary circumstances (though you could argue that airports are likely to have access to and knowledge of weather conditions on a regular basis so they could have anticipated the changes in weather? Not sure how far that would get you). However, what is striking to me is that all other operators took off with a delay following the weather but Easyjet decided not to and that could be the crux of your argument and you should be pressing them for an answer for this and whether their answer stacks up. On the face of it, if other operators didn't cancel their flights for adverse weather and the weather itself didn't last too long, there could be an underlying reason for it i.e. technical problem or as you say, their crew needed to take a rest break (which means you should be able to claim compensation).

It seems quite odd that they are the only operator who cancelled citing adverse weather conditions yet every other operator carried on.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Just to add
          When I was in Croatia the weather apps on my phone changed almost hourly , every day we were promised thunderstorms and the next day lower temperatures but that just did not happen. Each day seemed to get hotter , over 40 most days.

Technology isn't what it was when I were a lad

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
            or as you say, their crew needed to take a rest break (which means you should be able to claim compensation).

It seems quite odd that they are the only operator who cancelled citing adverse weather conditions yet every other operator carried on.
            Quite. Thanks Rob

Obviously they will blame the weather but as discussed, all other operators carried on and on that basis I will pursue the claim.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X