• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property - Rental Purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property - Rental Purchase

Hi
    Trying to help a friend but I dont really know where to start on this

40+years ago a friend (who was very young at the time) started buying a house on a rental purchase agreement in Normanton West Yorkshire.

He lived in the house and paid his dues for a number of years before temporarily moving to a rented property nearer to his workplace. He left all his furniture etc in his house.
    Whilst living in the rented property the council obtained a compulsory purchase order against the houses (including his) in his street (M62 road building)

As he wasnt living in his house he didnt find out about it until after the event, didnt receive any paperwork, so didnt bother pursuing any compensation.

Many years later he bumped into an ex neighbour who provided him with copies of the compulsory order paperwork. It clearly shows the houses and the names of the affected owners including him.

Is is too late to do anything about it, if it isnt where do we start please.
    Tags: None

Re: Property - Rental Purchase

Guessing having a read of Saunders v Caerphilly County Borough Council [2015] -> http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2015/1632.html might help. I'd say it's too late in your friends case because, from what you have said, there's been no communication between him and the council in the intervening period.

What happened to his furniture?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

dont know what happened to his furniture, think by the time he found out about it all his house had been demolished I will have to get more info from him regarding any further communications

Comment

When did he stop paying the rent on the property too ? ( and why did he ? did he just turn up one day and find it had turned into a motorway? lol )
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Dont know the answers Amethyst, Ive messaged him for more info

Comment

He is likely to be peeing in the wind tbh. He may have been breaching his tenancy/rent purchase agreement by not actually living there anyways.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

From what I can gather friends property had been condemned. A collecter called weekly/monthly for his rental purchase payments on behalf of the seller (Central Motor Auctions), but collecter stopped calling when the property was condemned. He continued living there for a futher 2 years or so before moving to a flat nearer to his work. Years later he found out that most of the other owners raised objections, the council claiming the propertys were unfit for human habitation when the real reason was to make way for the building of the M 62. He assumes his furniture/belongings were destroyed when the property was demolished. These other owners received a few thousand pounds

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X