• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Complaint mishandling & illegal behaviour from supervisor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint mishandling & illegal behaviour from supervisor

Hi everybody.

I'm a new user to legalbeagles but after plenty of mistreatment and unfair bosses surrounding me in the past I decided to join up. In he past I have spoken about issues in previous jobs to Acas but to no avail.

I now have issues in my current job. The issues are varied, most directly affect me but one doesn't.

To begin, I shall introduce the setting. I am currently away for 8 weeks (currently in week 3) in Norway for my job (I'm a stocktaker). There are 5 teams of 10 people out here - my current team has 9 people from one district (that all work together back home) plus me.

I have complaints concerning bullying/potential harassment (not against me), Favouritism/potential discrimination (against me), dangerous/illegal driving (we have company drivers to take us to jobs) and changing hours worked.

I have raised these concerns in a complaint email to my district manager. He in turn, forwarded that to the other 9 people's district manager and the person in charge of us out in Norway. Since Then, I have been called by my DM asking "if you're uncomfortable out there we can look at bringing you back" - I responded and told him I wasn't and won't be uncomfortable, to which he replied "we need to look at it from their (the other 9's) perspective though". He the proceeded to tell me that an Area Manager will be visiting to investigate my allegations - all of this sounds good but I'm not sure the AM is coming to investigate my claims but rather my stance on being sent home prematurely.

To give a bit more detail to my allegations/complaints;

The supervisor for our team edits our Timesheet. If I work 5 hours I should be paid for 5 hours, however, sometimes I might get only 4 hours 40 minutes pay and other days 5 hours 10 minutes pay. He will also make us work for over 6 hours, not give us a break and then add an imaginary 20 minute break to the time sheet after the job to coincide with employment laws.

The supervisor is also one of the 2 drivers for the team. He will regularly break 100kmph in a 60kmph zone. The roads in Norway in places are small enough for one vehicle, on the edge of a cliff/fjord, very little street lighting unless near towns and there are often animals (deer, moose etc) on the road. This is obviously extremely dangerous and illegal... he was told, however, that's if he accumulates speeding fines it is difficult for the Norwegian government to chase him for it as it's an English vehicle. He also regularly struggles to keep his eyes open while driving due to over-tiredness (not necessarily his fault).

The bullying/harassment seems to be the only thing they have taken seriously (at least a little). The victim was too scared to speak up initially for fear of having no backup, however, since I've spoken with him he spoke up and complained. The DM for the other 9 had "a word" with one of the bullies and told him that I and the victim had spoken up - is the DM in his rights to name us like that?

The reason I have come here seeking advice is because I am worried that my complaint is going to backfire on me.

The timesheet editing and driving is illegal - it should be dealt with properly but it sounds like the solution was a quick phone call to the supervisor in question to tell him to behave around 'me'. I've noticed since the phone call that he tries to avoid letting me drive in his vehicle rather than slowing down and tries to avoid doing anything with the timesheet until he is alone.

The bullying/harassment was dealt with in a similar manner but seems to have been effective, they are no longer harassing him, albeit with a bit of backlash onto me (which I can handle).

I feel like there is a lot of favouritism (not sure if i can class as discrimination) against me from the supervisor because I'm from a different district. We are stocktakers and we are scored on the amount we count every hour (pph) - this is easily calculated as 'overall pieces counted ÷ overall time worked'. I have been told by the supervisor that he doesn't want me on top (highest pph) but he wants his district on top. Therefore I get the worst areas, hardest areas, slowest areas and low pph. When the higher ups (DM, AM, Head Office etc) see this it will affect my standing within the company as they will see me as an 'underperformer'. I know a lot of discrimination is on the grounds of Gender, Race and Age but would my situation still be classed as discrimination?

I do not think they will fire me, however, it is likely they will try to send me home early for this. I know that this would be completely unfair to me, but would it be illegal? If so, how can I act towards it? I have emails stating I would be here until October so if I'm sent home early would that be considered a broken contract? I also just signed a code of conduct, which obviously doesn't state I will be sent home if I complain.

If it helps, I am working in Norway but I'm employed in England (I am paid an English wage).

I am grateful for any forthcoming help and I appreciate the time taken to read this.

Kind Regards,

Sean.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X