• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claims Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claims Company

My ex-partner contacted a claims company to get PPI refund. My name was put down as the second person, without my permission or knowledge. All correspondence goes to my ex's address (an address I have never lived at). When a cheque from Halifax came in my name, my ex gave it to me ( I assume because they expected half the money). Now, an invoice from the claims company has gone to my ex but is in my name! Am I responsible for paying the invoice as I never gave them permission to do anything on my behalf???
    Tags: None

Re: Claims Company

Hiya

A few questions:

1) Who is the claims management company?
    2) Was the cheque from Halifax PPI compensation for a joint account you shared with your ex of was the account in your name only?
    3) Are or were you married?
    4) Do you have the settlement letter from Halifax that would have come with or before the cheque?
    5) When you say ''Am I responsible for paying the invoice'' do you mean responsible to your ex or the company?

Comment

1. The company is The Claims Guys Ltd
      2. I honestly do not know what the compensation was for. The cheque came in my name only but to be honest I am thinking it was for a joint credit card
      3. We were married, divorced in '08
      4. I only have the letter that the cheque was attached to. It does mention a letter that was sent 3 days prior but I don't have that letter.
      5. Am I responsible to pay the company as the invoice is in my name

I do not even live in the country but my last address was my parents' address, never the address my ex is at now. She says she wasn't trying to be sneaky but it certainly looks that way as I had no knowledge she was even doing this. It took her a long time to even admit she put my name on the form. I just don't see why I have to pay this company anything when I did not enter an agreement with them. I am waiting for her to tell me if she forged my signature. I really hope she wouldn't be that stupid. We have kids together so even though she is in the wrong here, I have no interest in reporting her for fraud.

To be clear, if it was a joint account, I have no problem giving her half. However, I feel that any money owed to the claims company should be paid from her half. My biggest issue now is that there if there is more compensation coming (we also had a mortgage), how will I know? Do I contact the claims company and give them my parents' address to copy me on all correspondence?

Comment

Ok thanks.

I feel that any money owed to the claims company should be paid from her half
        So did she get a cheque too as part of the same refund? We need to establish that really. If the claim (and therefore refund) was for a joint account and you're divorced then Halifax were right to give you separate cheques.

I suppose that technically you don't owe the Claims Guys anything as you have no contractual obligations to them (ie you didn't sign a contract with them). It's possible that she signed a contract with them but on the letter of authority (that authorizes them to claim from the bank on the customer's behalf) she also put your name down as a joint account holder. Usually that would require your signature I think but I'll check.

My biggest issue now is that there if there is more compensation coming (we also had a mortgage), how will I know? Do I contact the claims company and give them my parents' address to copy me on all correspondence?
        That's a tough one because contacting them might open a can of worms. Can you not ask her if any more claims were made and still pending?

Comment

I honestly don't know if she received a cheque. If she sends the copy of the letter from Halifax that was sent prior to the cheque, will that say anything? The fact that she put me down at her address makes me think that she never mentioned we were divorced. If I do owe her half of the cheque, my plan is to pay the claims company from her half and then send her the difference. The problem arises if she already got a cheque for the same amount and has paid her portion of the fee to the claims company. Like I said, I don't even live in the country and have no interest in having debt in my name. But seeing as how you can get this compensation for free, I don't see why I should be on the hook for any fees owing to this company.

I agree that ME contacting the company is not a good idea for HER. Definitely a can of worms. I was going to ask her to contact the claims guys and give them my dad's address to copy all correspondence to me (and show me proof she has done so). But that brings me back to the fact that they will be looking for payment on my half of any future compensation! Its so frustrating.

Comment

If she sends the copy of the letter from Halifax that was sent prior to the cheque, will that say anything?
            It should do yes.

It might not be a good idea for you if you contact the company. I think you need to get hold of the letter and some clarification from her as to what she's done before advising further.

Comment

Will do, thank you. I have asked her to send all paperwork, including the letter of authority she sent to the Claims Guys.

I am curious though as to how it might not be good for me if I contact the claims company?

Comment

Because they might decide to charge you directly, which even though you don't have liability it could be a pain. They are not the most ethical of claims management companies.

Comment

LOL, I have learnt that from my online research! Just another problem I have with what the ex has done. It took me all of 30 seconds to find out how shady they are and another 30 seconds to find out that you can apply for PPI compensation yourself and for free! If she had just been upfront with what she was trying to do, all this could have been avoided. But instead she did this behind my back hoping she could get all this money without me knowing... She has denied wrong-doing; tried to guilt trip me by saying she was getting the money for the kids to make up for them being children of divorce; and has even gone so far as to say I'm the one in the wrong because I cashed the cheque (conveniently forgetting that she gave me the cheque a month ago and didn't send me the invoice from the Claims Guys until yesterday).

Anyways, thank you for your time in answering my questions and listening to me moan and complain!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X