• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** STRUCK OUT ** Received 'notice of transfer' shoosmiths. Debt was husband.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Received 'notice of transfer of proceedings' shoosmiths. Debt was husband.

Okay, have amended to cater for the fact you have never had the original claim.

1: The Defendant has never received a copy of the statement of case in this claim and therefore finds herself embarrassed in pleading this defence. This Defence is submitted following a hearing of an application made by the Claimant for Summary Judgment. The application was denied.

2: This is a claim for a debt incurred on an alleged consumer credit account of which the Defendant has very little information and disputes she is liable to the Claimant for the sums claimed, or at all.

3: It is the Defendant’s belief that the debt was originally incurred on a ‘Vanquis’ credit card which was obtained fraudulently in her name by her late Husband sometime in 2008. The Defendant has constantly denied that the original agreement was taken out by herself Mrs xxxxxxxxxxxx but fraudulently by her abusive late husband xxxxxxxxxxxxx (D). The Defendant has reported this Fraud to ‘Action Fraud’ (working for the Police and Government) Ref : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and the Claimant has previously been informed.

4: The Defendant believes that should the court find she was liable in any way for debt incurred on the account it would be statute barred by virtue of the Limitations Act 1980.

5: On the 18th October 2017 the Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd . She requested the Claimant provide copies of the Original Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment.

6: To date Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd has failed to provide copies of these, or any, documents evidencing their claim.

7: The Defendant has never received a notice of assignment assigning the alleged debt from the original creditor to the Claimant.

8 .It is denied that neither the Claimant, nor the alleged Original Creditor, served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.

9.Further, on the 18th October the Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

10. The Claimant has failed to provide any of the required documents and therefore has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

11. The Claimant has simply failed to provide any information relating to the alleged debt on which their claim is based. The Defendant requests the court orders the Claimant to provide the necessary documentation or their claim should stand struck out. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants the Defendant will then be in a position to amend her defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

12: Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

13. In addition, or in the alternative, collection of a debt arising from a regulated Consumer Credit agreement constitutes a Regulated Activity within the meaning of the Financial Services & Markets Act 2000 (Regulated Activities) Order 2001 (Section 39F). It appears the Claimant, Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd, is not authorised to carry on the activity of Debt Collection or Administration by the Financial Services Authority and is therefore acting in contravention of Section 19 of the FSMA 2000. Therefore, the Claimant is unable to proceed with this claim.

14: It is denied the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed, or at all.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you THANK YOU so much!!!
      This is now printed and signed ready to be hand delivered after work tomorrow! You have been beyond amazing and I am very appreciative!! I will let you know the outcome. I am very hopeful x

Comment

Remember to send a copy to the Claimant as well as to the Court won't you xxx I think we have covered everything, I know procedurally things have gone a bit tits up, and we don't really know why/how, but think you're back on track getting it sorted. They might discontinue, or reply to the defence disputing the issues, or just let it go on to a full hearing - the court might order them to supply the documents or have the claim struck out.... we shall see. Whichever way, it's good to be sticking up for yourself against the buggers
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

The reply I received is posted above but have also emailed as I cannot see it ����*♀️ Sorry x

Comment

I'll keep an eye out
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

You know the order after your hearing ( telling you when to have the defence in by ) - did that give a date they had to respond by ? That letter is just acknowledging receipt really - and normally they have 28 days to get back to inform court if they wish to proceed, so likely a bit of waiting about now. However check the order as if there is a deadline you might be able to get it sorted out sooner.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi again, sorry that this keeps going on.... and on...... and now I am confused? I have just received a letter requesting a ‘statement of truth’ by 4th Dec? I have not got a clue as to what this is??
                I shall email the actual letter to see if you understand?
                Thsnks again

Comment

Yes email me it please, I think it might literally be that I didn't put the header/footer on the defence when I pasted the draft on here - they are automatically entered on the forms or via MCOL, but you printed on normal paper didn't you...and I'm a dimwit...

When you signed it did you include this bit at the bottom?

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed ________________________________

Dated ________________________________
                  It is literally the bold bit of that...

Lets have a look at the letter to be sure, then I'd guess you need to re print the defence with the header...

In the Northampton County Court Business Centre
                  Claim No: [XXXXX]
                  [Claimants Name]
                  Claimant
                  And
                  [Defendants Name]
                  Defendant
                  DEFENCE

------------------------------------------------------

and the footer on the same doc.

( here's a word doc with it in, just need to remove the example defence and replace it with yours and your info --> https://legalbeagles.info/wp-content...nceExample.doc )

Argghhhhh that's annoying if that is the issue - and my fault ! Sorryyyyyy xxx
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 2nd December 2017, 10:37:AM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Got it, and yes that is it.... Needs to be back by the 11th but if you can just get it printed out ( use that word document for the header and footer, paste your defence in the middle ) re-print it, re-sign / date it ( todays date) and then send it to the court today/Monday - it does only ask you to 'FILE' ( which is send to the court ) so no need to send a copy to the claimant as well.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Pleas don’t apologise..... I have just emailed you a screenshot of my defence which did include the right footer..... but am wondering now if it got left behind in the printer or failed to make it to the right eyes , as it was on page 4 all by itself...???
                      shall I just print the whole thing off and send it in again?
                      thabks for letting me annoy you again with this, especially at a weekend?!

Comment

Bahh don't worry, I have a day where I don't have to ferry anyone about anywhere, the boys are stilll asleep and the girls are away so I have some peace

Yes you need to print it all off again and sign it, might be an idea to write 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 ,4/4 at the top of each page.

It seems it might actually be the courts fault then, as you def said you'd signed it before you sent it, unless you missed it out the envelope.... well what's done is done and it hasn't caused an issue, just a bit of a hold up...

when you resend it just add a breif covernote saying you're filing the defence pursuant to the order of DJ Elmer dated x/x/x etc, consisting of 4 pages....
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi, I have had a response..... I shall email it as the dimensions will not upload..... I am assuming that I do not have to anything further in response to this letter? Many Thanks again

Comment

Oooo, did you get a copy of the order made in January ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-03-09 14_19_05-Start.png Views:	1 Size:	147.4 KB ID:	1394724

I'd assume the Judge ordered the other side to disclose documents evidencing their claim and they've failed, so now have a last chance saloon - 10 days to go....
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes I did and sat tight waiting for my paperwork ( they asked for all of the paperwork that I had previously requested to be supplied to me by a date which has now passed.... so presuming that they asked the court for an extension??) but so far nothing?! Fingers crossed then

Comment

Looks like Cabot can't get the paperwork ( probably as it doesn't exist) so have told Shoosmiths to just leave it to be struck out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-03-21 15_57_58-Start.png
Views:	1
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1396605

So a case of checking with the court next week that that has been done and that should be the end of it.

I wish they'd just admit when they're in the wrong though, be a much more satisfying end to these kind of cases.

Well done Mrs Sparkle ! xxxx
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X