• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello and Dilema

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and Dilema

Good day people. Its good to know that there are sites out there that help people.

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice.

Years ago when I was in a previous marriage, I took out a credit card. At the time you think all is well and things will be kept up to date with payments etc. But life isnt always like that.

Fast forward several years. This morning I got a letter from Robinson way regarding a Barclaycard debt (in my old surname) the origanal debt was for £1608 but now they are saying they will settle this if I pay £175.

I came to this site through googling plus a friend of a friend recommneded it as youd helped then with a credit card issue.

I will be hard up and have to juggle things but I might just be able to afford the £175.

Not sure what I should do, as I am well aware that people make mistakes and lives change and these companies are sharks and devious. Maybe I am wrong for assuming this but I wonder if people got fair(ish) offers to pay off debts to avoid court etc or threat f court -would they pay them off?

Plus as well there is the worry that if I pay the £175 despite the promises not to pursue this - they may well go back on their word as by paying it is an admission of guilt??

Ohhh how confusing. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thankyou
    Tags: None

Re: Hello and Dilema

who are Robinson Way collecting for>??? give details on this - seems a last minute begging request on behalf of a claimant? info:- owner / originator last payment date default date

Comment

Hi Mike thankyou for getting back to me. They are collecting on behalf of HPH2 Ltd (Ex Barclaycard) The original debt was for £1608 and they are offering a one off payment of £175 to update my account as "partially settled" they go on to say they wont ask for anymore money.

Hope this is helpful, I got the feeling it was a begging style letter. not sure if I should pay it or wait and see?

Thankyou

Comment

I am not as clever as the other Beagles on this but I would say that is a good opportunity to get shot of this debt. Now they could be offering this huge reduction because they have no paperwork or chance of dragging you through the courts so you could take a gamble and not pay and have it haunting you until it’s statute barred (is it statute barred already? How long is it since you last made a payment or acknowledged the debt?)
        If you decide to pay the reduced amount tell them you want a letter confirming the fact that they will not pursue you for the rest nor sell the balance on -then take a shed load of copies of that letter and make sure you keep them all safe!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

"partially settled" Worries me. how old is the debt?

Comment

around Jan 2011, although later that year I did try to make payment arrangments with Barclaycard - I was unemployed and could not afford a massive amount. They refused and next thing I know they sold the debt. So to be safe I would say late 2011.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X