• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Some Success at hearing for Judgement to be set aside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change of Defense before a hearing to have a judgement set aside

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
    Hi

I dont know what costs HC would want to set aside the judgment or even if that is something they would consent to, but it is something i normally enquire about when i am challenging an opponent in a case such as this.

Im not sure what you know about the rules for setting aside judgments, but you can set aside a judgment either by application to the Court or by consent of the parties. It is not unusual for the party making such an application to be ordered to pay the costs of and occasioned by the application, especially if you are unable to establish that service of the claim form was defective

You only have one bite of the cherry here, if you fail then the judgment will stand unless there is score to appeal, so its important that you have all the Ts crossed and Is dotted
    Thank you for all the info also. After a judgement to be set aside is dismissed by a judge, can you appeal this? I had an old debt from 2008 which I didn't know about. When I went to court to ask for it to be set aside, the claimant informed me of what the debt was and from when. I did not have this information up until now but when I said about it being statued barred to the claimant she said I cannot bring that up now as that was not my original defense. But, I didn't even know who was the original claimant or from when the debt was owed until now

Comment

Some Success at hearing for Judgement to be set aside

So I had my hearing today to have a default judgement set aside. The judge has granted the set aside now requiring me to file a full defense within 14 days to go to a trial.

Can anyone one give some advise on how to construct this defense please?

Basically Santander have charged me for unauthorised overdraft in a snowball affect despite me sending them a letter prior to the first charge explaining my financial situation had changed and therefore could they cancel all direct debits, standing order and reoccurring card payments from my account. They continued to allow payments for a sky subscription. Been overdrawn by £7.66 has ended up being £1756.

Think the the main area of focus by what the judge had mentioned is, proving the letter was sent to Santander and that the bank have been unfair. Any help is greatly appreciated

Comment

Re: Some Success at hearing for Judgement to be set aside

Well done on getting your set aside granted

Have you sent for a Subject Access Request from Santander ? You will need a list of your transactions leading up to your call and afterwards, showing how the charges ramped up the debt. The SAR may also bring up screen notes regarding your request to cancel DD's etc. there is an example Subject Access Request and although it's unlikely you will get anything back in time for your defence, you should get it underway for further down the line.

Who is the claimant in the case ? (Just going to see if you have a previous thread ) ah ha - http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...503#post744503 - I'll merge and have a read through, probably come back to your in the morning though as my eyes are going wonky this evening.
        [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION]
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Hoist portfolio have bought the debt and Howard and cohen are acting on their behalf. I requested a statement from Santander which shows when the first charge hit and showing no further credits to the account yet they were still authorising some payments and not others then adding between 4-6 charges every month. I received no reply from Santander after sending them my initial letter and then moved house but still no reply, just the issue on the ccj 5 years after the initial charge on the account.

Comment

The other post regarding after a set aside has already been dismissed is for a different application to have something set aside. Not this one with Santander. Sorry for the confusion

Comment

Ahhh ok, most of this does seem to related to your hoist set aside though ?
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yes it is similar but it's only this one that has been set aside

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X