• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

First time using MCOL, hoping someone can help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time using MCOL, hoping someone can help!

Hi
    This my first time using mcol so hoping someone could just reassure/guide me in the right direction.

I am a landlord currently living overseas.
    I am claiming damages and rent arrears from ex tenants who were living together in my property as a couple.
    I was told when they left the property that they had split up. He gave a forwarding address, she didn’t. So I don’t know her whereabouts.
    I also have a guarantor and his current address.
    I asked a solicitor to chase but they were unsuccessful. However I do have copies of the solicitors letter before claim to both the tenants at the forwarding address, and the guarantor at his current address, giving them both14 days to respond, and they have not.

I have the following questions and hoping someone could help with:

1) I assume the solicitors letter before claim is adequate for preaction protocol?
    2)) The online form only allows 2 defendants. I have 3 . I noticed an email address to write to, to help with this, but assume this means I would have to go down the paper route (n1)?
    3)If this is the case do I need to find the female tenants address?
    4)The tenants left in 2014, although they were more than aware of the debt and damage (eg one of the items of damage was they had a dog and the house was left infested with fleas, it took 4 weeks to rid the property of the fleas. They must have itched like crazy!) – however I don’t think I can charge interest seeing as I am only doing something about this now. Is that correct? What is the position regarding interest?
    5)Is the following adequate for the particulars of claim:
    Ms XX and Mr xx were tenants at my property xxxx for the period xxx to xxx.
    Mr xx was guarantor for the period.
    The tenants left the property with £xx arrears and £x damage broken down as:
    Removal of fleas and loss of rent £x
    Cleaning £x
    Rubbish removal £x
    Replacement carpet £x
    Despite my attempts, and despite their initial agreement, the tenants will not respond regarding releasing the full deposit of £x to me. I request this be done as part of the claim.
    I also claim for full legal costs as allowable under clause xx of the tenancy agreement which states ‘xxxx’
    Total to be claimed £xxx
    All evidence will be available to the court should they require.

Many thanks for any help – I’m struggling so it will be really appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: First time using MCOL, hoping someone can help!

1) Yes, they had a pre-action letter and have been warned.
    2) I believe you would have to go down the paper route for 3, but as you don't know where the female defendant is I'd just pursue the defendants with whereabouts you do know. They in turn can pursue her for their loss.
    3) If you wish to pursue her, yes.
    4) I believe you can charge interest from the date of filing the claim.
    5) Looks fine for the MCOL form, but I'd removed the last line about evidence as it's assumed to bring the claim that should it go to hearing you will support your claim with evidence.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you so much jaguarsuk for taking time to reply and being so comprehensive with your answers! You have been a great help.

Ok I will press ahead with mcol just using the 2 defendants.....thanks again!

Comment

Hi

The claim part for damage will need setting up prpertly if they respond. Arrears claims are faily straight forward usualy

Did they have a deposit, ( and was it registerd properly )
        Did you have signed inventory for them moving in ( idealy with pictures )
        How long was they tenants for ( wear and tear )
        Did your tenacy contract exclude pets or require agreement from you

the more evidecen you have, in relation to damages, the better
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by missmooch View Post
          Thank you so much jaguarsuk for taking time to reply and being so comprehensive with your answers! You have been a great help.

Ok I will press ahead with mcol just using the 2 defendants.....thanks again!
          No problem at all, it'll be quite a lengthy process if they defend the claim, keep the link to this thread and up date it as you go with any questions and I'm sure you'll have plenty of help along the way.

Good luck.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X