• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gladstones/ UK car Park Management Ltd court claim. Please help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladstones/ UK car Park Management Ltd court claim. Please help.

Hi I am hoping someone can help me with my defense. I am pretty sure if I have a case to fight all of it and I hope someone can help me.
    I received 3 parking tickets at the same private property which was a residential block of flats. These were on my windscreen the first two dated 17/12/2016 & 19/12/16. I parked my car and entered the building and stayed for the weekend. I didn't see any parking signs and the person who I was visiting had no idea you needed a permit. I returned back to my car on the Monday 12 December to two parking tickets on the windscreen from UK Car Park Management Ltd saying I didn't have a permit and the charge was £100 or £60 if I payed within 14 days. Well I was out of work at the time so I didn't have the money to pay.

I did some research about what I needed to do to obtain a permit as I would be returning to park there regularly. I obtained a replacement permit, at the cost of £5 which was allocated to the flat number I was visiting and at the end of the process I took a screen shot of a dispensation code which I was instructed to write and show in my windscreen. I did this for the next time I parked and on the 31/12/16 I got another ticket despite clearly showing the code in my window. I then had to write a massive note in my window which covered the entire dashboard in large letters with the code and continued to park there for another few days and no more tickets.

So after some debt collection letters and solicitor letters from Gladstones I have now eventually got a court letter which was issued 11/7/17. I didn't do anything about the letters before for a few reason a) internet advice b) lack of funds to pay and c) I suffer from depression and anxiety and this was too much for me to handle at times and I didn't have the strength to fight them. I hoped they wouldn't take me to court but they are and now forcing me into action, which is distressing me a lot and I am worried about my ability to cope. I can't remember the dates that I received any letters and unfortunately can't find many of them for evidence.

Sob story aside, I am being taken to court for a total of £583.07

So I genuinely didn't see the signs when I parked the first time and I felt that I needed to build up a case to see if their signage is up to scratch. I drove the 220 mile round trip to go to the car park to take some pictures which I will post. The immediate entrance to the car park from the road has no signs, the one closest to where I parked was actually broken, with only a corner intact. There were two that I drove past on the way into this side road part of the car park and one of them was so high I definitely couldn't see it from my car and the second was on the outside of an electricity station thing, which had many other signs on that confused things. Also on this sign there is a spiky bush in front of it that looks like it has been chopped back at some point, so I feel that arguing that it was obscured by the plant could have been a reason why I missed it. There was a sign across the road from where I parked but this is really low and actually with a car parked in front of it, can very easily be missed.

I believe from previous advice that the tenants tenancy agreement would have primacy of contract over the parking company but I will not be able to get a copy as this was an ex boyfriend who is now ignoring me when I ask him for help.

I also believe that even though the signage was not clearly visible that the wording on the sign is prohibiting and therefore a contract wasn't entered into.

I have sent off the acknowledgement of service and now I have until 13/08/17 to get in my defense. I have been getting a lot of information together and written lots of notes but am now stuck with exactly what to say in my defense.

I have been thinking of using a defence similar to this case:

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...nocentmotorist

and I have found someone who has defended the claim because they were the tenant and had proof. That has some very useful stuff on old cases and this:

In the case of Saeed v Plustrade Limited [2001] EWCA Civ 2011 parking restrictions and a change which caused detriment to tenants and their visitors were held to be in breach of the well known and well established principle that ‘a grantor shall not derogate from his grant’.

Which i think will be of use in my case but I am worried I won't be able to put a well worded legal defense together as all the information is coming from bits here and there and I don't have a clue what I am doing.

I actually hired Private Perking Appeals and paid them to help me with this. I did this back when I got the claim and they have not got back to me since. I have called and emailed many times but they just took my money and did nothing!

Thank you so much in advance I really need help with this!

I can post pictures if needed. I have plenty of the car park and the signage, including broken and obscured signs.
    Tags: None

Re: Gladstones/ UK car Park Management Ltd court claim. Please help.

You can get details or the lease from the land registry for a nominal sum. This may give you enough ammunition.

Comment

Hi FoxyB

Please note that at the current time we can only offer our Money Back Guarantee for parking companies who are members of the British Parking Association (BPA) and whose appeals can be referred to POPLA.
      As BPA members ourselves, we do not accept that the International Parking Community operates a fair and transparent appeals process, and the IPC continues to refuse to engage with us to resolve our concerns. As a result, we are supporting the BPA in their lobbying of Government for there to be a single, demonstrably independent, transparent appeals service for all private parking companies.
      http://privateparkingappeals.co.uk/

2 guesses who UKPCM belong to.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        You can get details or the lease from the land registry for a nominal sum. This may give you enough ammunition.
        That's great advice thank you. I will try and find out how to do this before I have to submit my evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          Hi FoxyB

http://privateparkingappeals.co.uk/

2 guesses who UKPCM belong to.
          So does this mean they won't help me because they belong to the same organisation as UKCPM? That doesn't seem fair. I don't know how to go about getting a refund if they don't answer emails and the phone just gets cuts off. They could have at least got in touch saying they can't help me.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyB View Post
            So does this mean they won't help me because they belong to the same organisation as UKCPM?
            Not quite.
            UKCPM are with IPC.
            IPC have an in-house appeals service, IAS.
            Whether it is fair, unbiased or even reasonable for a trade assn (IPC) (which exists via the membership fees of it's parking co's) to have an appeal system which is in-house I will leave to your judgment.
            It would appear, though, that PPA (I don't believe they have any connection with IPC/IAS) don't rate the arrangement too much!
            I don't know how to go about getting a refund if they don't answer emails and the phone just gets cuts off. They could have at least got in touch saying they can't help me.
            You could try writing via land mail.
            Private Parking Appeals Limited
            272 Bath Street
            Glasgow
            G2 4JR
            ####
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

It says on the sign they are registered with BPA??
              Attached Files

Comment

I have got the title deeds now but I can not see anywhere that it says about parking. It has a passage :

full and free right and liberty without obtaining the consent ofor making any compensation to the Purchaser or other the owner orowners occupier or occupiers for the time being of the said propertyhereby conveyed to deal in any manner whatsoever with any of the saidadjoining or neighbouring property and to erect and maintain or sufferto be erected or maintained on such land any buildings whatsoeverwhether such buildings shall or shall not affect or diminish the lightor air which may now or at any time or times hereafter be enjoyed foror in respect of the said property hereby conveyed or any buildings forthe time being thereon but not so as to interfere with the support ofthe said property or the railway and buildings thereon.

but I don't know what it means. It seems to be the closest thing to what I am looking for. It doesn't mention parking, or parking permits whatsoever.

Comment

Usually there will be a map with the flat ringed in red to identify it. Is there another red ringed area which could be a parking space?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X