• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Missing default notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing default notice

Can I just ask a question...

Credit card debt opened originally in 2001. Now with a DCA. Noddle says it's defaulted in August 2011.
    SAR sent to OC and a whole heap of info provided but no DN and no assignment.

If the DCA were to issue a claim but didn't mention the DN or assignment in the POC where would we stand? I thought these were legal requirements.
    Could a new DN be applied at any time?
    Just curious.
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Missing default notice

Originally posted by CharlieP View Post
    Can I just ask a question...

Credit card debt opened originally in 2001. Now with a DCA. Noddle says it's defaulted in August 2011.
    SAR sent to OC and a whole heap of info provided but no DN and no assignment.

If the DCA were to issue a claim but didn't mention the DN or assignment in the POC where would we stand? I thought these were legal requirements.
    Could a new DN be applied at any time?
    Just curious.
    Thank you
    Hello Charley,

I would personally write to the creditor and request that it now supplies both the DN and NOA forthwith.

nem

Comment

Thanks Nem, Had they not originally issued a DN is there a possibility that they could arrange one with a more current date in order to satisfy? I wouldn't want it to upset a SB position.

Comment

Thanks Nem, Had they not originally issued a DN is there a possibility that they could arrange one with a more current date in order to satisfy? I wouldn't want it to upset a SB position.
        Hi Charlie,

Creditors are not actually obliged to " store" NOA's or DN's and can supply " reconstituted " ones with date of issue, The DN date is not the actual default date which will later if the terms of the DN are not met.

Do you know the default date on this account?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Do you know the default date on this account?
          Thanks [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION]

As the SAR came back with no default date mentioned, the only default date showing is on my Noodle file - 27/08/2011

I can only presume that date must have been when the debt was sold.

Comment

Had they not originally issued a DN is there a possibility that they could arrange one with a more current date in order to satisfy? I wouldn't want it to upset a SB position.
            Do not write to the creditor requesting those documents under any circumstances.

By demanding a copy of your DN and NOA (which may not exist) you will be making them aware of potential errors which they can remedy.

Then if you get a claim (hopefully not) you will have ruined your chances in court if they have been given the opportunity in advance to source the documents or reconstituted documents before issuing thanks to your tip-off.

When is this debt due to go Statute Barred?

Di
            Last edited by Diana M; 7th August 2017, 17:03:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
              When is this debt due to go Statute Barred?
              Hi Di

I don't know, last payment was Jan 2011 & as no official DN only Noddle shows a default date of 27/08/2011
              Charlie

Comment

last payment was Jan 2011 & as no official DN only Noddle shows a default date of 27/08/2011
                In which case it would be foolhardy to write to the creditor when you're so tantalisingly close to SB!

If this was a credit card it's possible that the original creditor didn't serve you with a DN until two months' contractual payments had been missed. And then after that any DN would have given you a remedy date before they defaulted the account which may impact on the SB date.

Or you may have been on an ATP or in a DMP so had already been served with a DN (or not).

I simply don't know, but what I do know is if you write to the current owner (assuming it's been assigned to a debt purchaser) all you'll achieve is flagging up the SB deadline (possibly the end of this month or even later depending on any acknowledgement etc) which would be a disaster right now.

Meaningful advice can only be given after the facts have been established so who is the original creditor and who now owns the debt? They behave in different ways.

Also how much is the balance outstanding because that may give an indication as to whether they would 'issue and be damned' (because they know they haven't got time to source the documents) the minute you tell them you're alive and kicking in response to your letter demanding that they produce the statutory documents "forthwith". Confrontational letters are a bad move.

When were you last in touch with them and why?

And finally ( ) have you ever sent a s 77-79 CCA Request to either the original creditor or the current owner, and if so have they complied with it?

Di

Comment

Originally posted by diana m View Post
                  do not write to the creditor requesting those documents under any circumstances.

By demanding a copy of your dn and noa (which may not exist) you will be making them aware of potential errors which they can remedy.

Then if you get a claim (hopefully not) you will have ruined your chances in court if they have been given the opportunity in advance to source the documents or reconstituted documents before issuing thanks to your tip-off.

When is this debt due to go statute barred?

Di
                  a sar has already been sent the dn and noa were not provided
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 8th August 2017, 15:52:PM.

Comment

A SAR HAS ALREADY BEEN SENT THE DN AND NOA WERE NOT PROVIDED!!
                    That may well be true (no hard copies).

But if the information (date issued/served, remedy date and amount requested plus the date of the assignment etc) was/is in the 'Transaction Log' then the Creditor would be able to produce a reconstituted DN and NOA

Diana M

Comment

Creditors are not actually obliged to " store" NOA's or DN's and can supply " reconstituted " ones with date of issue,
                      I see you already agree with me on this point in post # 4

Diana M

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X