• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County court letter from lowells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County court letter from lowells

Hi my first post to your site
    my partner recently recieved a county court letter regarding an outstanding debt which lowell own , he stopped paying due to unemployment
    is now back emoyed we have responded and now set up new payment plan which we are paying, but my main concern is the court letters we have recieved do not look genuine they actually look like photocopies.i have had court letters before as i have had past debts and the ones we have recieved for my partner are not anything like these
    how do i tell if they are genuine?? I would not put anything past lowells also all return addressess on back of envelopes relaye to lowell and not the court i just find them all a bit suspect
    as they have added £170 fees now onto the debt which i am not happy about paying
    any help with this would be appreciated thanks
    Tags: None

Re: County court letter from lowells

Originally posted by Suzymc0113 View Post
    Hi my first post to your site
    my partner recently recieved a county court letter regarding an outstanding debt which lowell own , he stopped paying due to unemployment
    is now back emoyed we have responded and now set up new payment plan which we are paying, but my main concern is the court letters we have recieved do not look genuine they actually look like photocopies.i have had court letters before as i have had past debts and the ones we have recieved for my partner are not anything like these
    how do i tell if they are genuine?? I would not put anything past lowells also all return addressess on back of envelopes relaye to lowell and not the court i just find them all a bit suspect
    as they have added £170 fees now onto the debt which i am not happy about paying
    any help with this would be appreciated thanks
    Good afternoon welcome to LB,

By " court letters" do you mean a county court claim form N1?

Can you post a copy of the form received please after removing names/addresses and the claim number.

When did you receive the claim, has it been acknowledged yet? There is limited time to respond.

Please list the following.

The name of the original creditor.
    The type of account.
    The amount claimed (- minus fees)
    The date the account was defaulted.
    The date if last payment.

There is no point in a claimant issuing a " false" claim.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by Suzymc0113 View Post
      the court letters we have recieved do not look genuine they actually look like photocopies.i have had court letters before as i have had past debts and the ones we have recieved for my partner are not anything like these
      how do i tell if they are genuine??
      The best way to establish if that is a genuine court claim is to ring the number on the the first page right hand side and talk direct to the court. It's probably 0300 123 1056/7 (often engaged) or try 01604 619 4026 (assuming the claim was issued by MCOL regularly used by Lowells)

Since this is your partner's claim he would need to make the call in order to clear security/data protection. He'll need to give them the claim reference number (top right) and his Date of Birth.

What is the claim Issue Date (top right) because if it is a genuine claim (I expect it is but you never know ) then your partner has 19 days from that date to file his Acknowledgement of Service and 33 days from that date to file his Defence?

It's really annoying when a creditor issues a claim even though you are paying them as agreed, but sadly there's nothing unlawful about that.

Di

Comment

Hi Suzy

Di , as usual has given some excellent advice.

Call me me paranoid but maybe it is better to type out the particulars of claim and edit dates etc to maybe the month and year and the amount to the nearest 100 or 1000 depending on the size.

I only say this because we wouldn't want the claimant to get wind of your defence or progress until you want them to. We know, or at least some have told us, that claimants have used info posted on the forum to ambush the defendant in court.

It is easy to leave something on a document, maybe a barcode or QR or even a name within the letter. I know I have done it many a time so that any eagle eyed person could tell you my name and address.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X