• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Section 28 Limitation Act 1980

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 28 Limitation Act 1980

Can anyone please explain in simple terms the 30 year limitation period that is referred to under s.28(4) Limitation Act
    Tags: None

Re: Section 28 Limitation Act 1980

The way I read it as saying that you cannot bring a claim for the recovery of land or a charge on any land after 30 years has passed following the date where the right of action first accrued. I think this would link to 28(1) i.e. 36 years after the disability ended or the person died whichever is earlier. Though it could link to 28(6) too which relates to defective products or fatal accidents and is therefore 33 years.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Rob, I initially thought that it seemed to contradict s.28 (1) but after reading it over several times it appears the 30 years only applies if the limitation period for the cause of action is not prescibed by the act
      Disability

(1)
      Subject to the following provisions of this section, if on the date when any right of action accrued for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, the person to whom it accrued was under a disability, the action may be brought at any time before the expiration of six years from the date when he ceased to be under a disability or died (whichever first occurred) notwithstanding that the period of limitation has expired.

Comment

but after reading it over several times it appears the 30 years only applies if the limitation period for the cause of action is not prescibed by the act
        I'm not sure it says that, the LA has various time limits depending on the type of cause of action but what s.28(1) says is that if the person had a disability at the time the particular cause of action accrued, then the limitation period is extended to 6 years following their disability ceasing, or upon death, whichever is sooner.

So for names sake, if Person A had a personal injury claim against Person B and Person A had a disability at the time of the injury, then the action can be brought up to 6 years after the disability has ended.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Its still not clear what causes of action the 30 years timescale refers to

Comment

It does, it specifically says recovery of land or any legal charge on the land?
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

At the time in question I wasnt sure if 6 or12 years applied, so be on the safe side I relied on 6 years. The defendant still tried to argue that I was out of time, but the judge sided with me that it wasnt out of time as claim had been brought within 6 years

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X