• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy & transfer of role to other office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy & transfer of role to other office

Hello, am hoping for some advice please. My role I have been informed is at risk of redundancy, 30 day consultation process just beginning. A number of other roles in my directorate are also at risk in the same scenario.
    I work for a large employer with a number of different business within the main business.
    The reasons for redundancies are down to work being moved to a different division of the business which also happens to be overseas (not sure if this makes a difference though). This is being done because of poor financial performance at group level.

It has been made clear that the work I and others currently do will continue, to the point a letter received details many of my current responsibilities and states they will be be absorbed by the exisiting department in our overseas office.

As frustrating as this all is, I think I'm right in understanding that this is all ok for employer to do, to move existing roles and responsibilities to another part of the business to save money on headcount. If not, I'd appreciate any info on this.

However, I've just discovered on our company website we are advertising for positions in this overseas office, for roles that directly replace the work I and others currently do. These adverts were posted a week ago, we only learnt of this situation 1-2 days ago.
    I'd be fairly confident our employer is breaching some rules here by not having people in post for these roles already in the overseas office, so I would really welcome any guidance from anyone on whether the employer is allowed to do this? If not what do you recommend as a course of action, is it worth raising this concern about their process' during the consultation period, or using it later in a possible constructive dissmissal case, should the consultation end with me leaving the business.
    Tags: None

Re: Redundancy & transfer of role to other office

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/section/139

Your situation meets the description of redundancy found at s.139(1)(b)(ii) of the ERA 1996.
    i.e. Your employer will no longer need your work to be done at your current workplace.

Yes, it's OK for your employer to move the roles elsewhere to save money.

It's sensible for them to be already recruiting at the overseas office so as to ensure continuity of the services that you now provide. They are not required to wait until after the redundancy process.

You might want to look into suitable alternate employment available in any of your employer's businesses.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X