• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statute barred letter issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute barred letter issue

Hi
    i need someone's help please. Dlc ltd debt company were claiming a debt that I owed.. I sent a statute barred letter as this debt was over 6 years old. Today I have received a letter from them stating they have closed the account but they have now passed it onto ME III Limited to collect the debt. I have stated I don't owe this debt, can they do this?

would really like some legal advice
    Tags: None

Re: Statute barred letter issue

Hi Secretlady68 & welcome to LB.

dlc & ME III are both part of the Cabot group.
    http://www.cabotcm.com/

It would help if you could give a bit more info.
    (Type of alleged debt - credit card? loan? etc, - approx amount, - last payment date or written acknowledgement)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Secretlady1968 View Post
      Hi
      i need someone's help please. Dlc ltd debt company were claiming a debt that I owed.. I sent a statute barred letter as this debt was over 6 years old. Today I have received a letter from them stating they have closed the account but they have now passed it onto ME III Limited to collect the debt. I have stated I don't owe this debt, can they do this?

would really like some legal advice
      Hi thanks for replying.... the debt was originally a store card and the debt ended up being £3373.29. I haven't been in contact with Argos card services or any collections in years....I sent dlc a statute barred letter on the 24th February 2017 which they respond on 14th march conducting full investigation. Today's letter was stating they have now closed account but at bottom of thetter it states "you now owe ME III LIMTED"

Comment

Hi
        It might be because in England and Wales a statute barred debt still exists although can not be enforced in court.

You say the debt is over 6 years old, do you mean the account is over 6 years old or you defaulted on the account more than 6 years ago and haven't made any payments or acknowledgments since then?

I think the next move would be , do nothing and wait to see if anyone else contacts you

It is generally not a good idea to send statute barred letters unless you are 100% sure the account is statute barred because the cause of action may not be when you think it is, i.e it may be 6 years since you made a payment but it could be some months later when the account is actually closed .

In general a S77-79 request is best

However, lets work on the fact you debt is SB and just wait and see what happens next

Comment

Hi
          its been nearly 8 years since I defaulted on the account... so I will wait and see what happens next.. thank you for your help and will keep you informed

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X