• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP Debt and law change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP Debt and law change

Hello,

Looking for some advice regarding a DWP debt I have. Sometime ago I was on income support and due to a genuine mistake on my part I did not tick the box that said I was receiving some child maintenance for my son (mutual agreement not through csa). It all came to light after I had a routine review and I went through the normal questions and said yes to the one asking if I was receiving maintenence etc. Next thing I know I was sent a letter saying I owed around £9000 due to not declaring the money for my son and over payment of income support. I disputed it at the time because I was certain I'd always told them but when they sent me copies of every form I'd filled in I see my mistake there in black and white.

That was around 2007 and I have been paying it back since then. I have recently discovered that in 2010 the law changed and child maintenence was disregarded from any benefit payments so my question is ..... Does my debt still stand because of the law change in 2010?

I hope that all made sense and any help would be gratefully received.

Claire
    Tags: None

Re: DWP Debt and law change

Hi and welcome

As you say, from April 2010 there was a total disregard of child maintenance payments.
    This was not retrospective, although it already applied to council tax and housing benefit.
    It replaced the previous disregard of £20 a week in out of work benefits.

Sorry to say, but I think you're stuck with the debt:tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X