• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

overpayment tax credits 2012 help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overpayment tax credits 2012 help please

i need advice please, i have just received a letter regarding a may be overpayment of child tax credit, i am a single mother of three, my oldest daughter was 16 back in 2012 and when she finished school she went into full time education at this point the tax credits asked for the information witch i sent, un be known to me my daughter wasn't going to collage, and i found this out back in September 2013 she finished the course in January 2013,, i no i was wrong now but never thought about it at the time to let them no, in November 2013 i added my son to the tax credits and told them my change in circumstances about my daughter, so i carried on with normal life but never noticed that they had not acted on me reporting the change, as the money goes in and then out to pay bills as i am on a low income, it wasn't until the renewal that i noticed she was still on my claim and i rang back in march and told them, they said it would be a few weeks to make the change, but at the same time i also told them that my oldest was moving out, they said ring back when she has moved out cos there is nothing they can do till then, this confused me but he was adamant that i need to ring again, i have then received this letter asking for proof of the collage she went to cos they think i have been overpaid since September 2012!!!!!!i am now worrying my self ill that they will prosecute me for fraud, i understand that i will have to pay back a large sum and have penalties but i did inform them, also worried now cos i have another change in circumstances as i have just got a job and was going to ring about that, now they will think that things are wrong, as i was self employed and got working tax credit, but the self employment didn't work out and i was getting deeper and deeper into debt, so have been looking for a job.
    has anyone been in this situation and what will the outcome be?? as normal with important bills and letters it came Friday and i have not been able to do anything till tomo
    Tags: None

Re: overpayment tax credits 2012 help please

Hi and welcome.
    First up, stop panicking, Take a deep breath.
    You are not the first to have been caught out like this, HMRC are good at not acting in a trimely manner on information given them.
    Second, I would not advise telephoning them. You need every thing in writing.
    When my daughter had similar problems we had a lot of help from this site: http://www.taxcc.org/dispute1.htm
    Following the steps outlined will stop HMRC current attempts to recover their cash and give you the information you require to argue the legitimacy of their attempted clawback.
    When you have that info, come back for further advice if you want.
    I'm sure others will be along soon with their help..... you are not alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X