• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP overpayment (long standing) and probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP overpayment (long standing) and probate

My dm passed away suddenly a few weeks ago without leaving a will. I am currently filling in probate forms. I am the sole beneficiary...her only asset apart from a few hundred £ is her home. She had a repayment set up with the dwp out of her benefits which had been ongoing for some time and an amount is still outstanding. Can anyone advise me whether I need to declare the exact amount on the probate form (I only have an estimate due to recent paperwork), and also whether the dwp will expect the money in one payment or are likely to allow next to pay in instalments? Will I be expected to sell the house?

Thank you for your time.
    Tags: None

Re: DWP overpayment (long standing) and probate

As far as I understand it, if the debts of the estate outweigh the available liquid assets, the Administrator would be expected to settle the debt.I don't think DWP would accept instalments, but if it makes the difference between having to sell the house or not, they may be prepared to discuss it. The difficulty is that the debt is now owed by the estate, rather than an individual.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X