• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment nightmare

Hi all

Need a bit of info/advice on behalf of a work colleague/friend (well, her Mum actually).

Her Mum was advised of a telephone appointment from the benefits people stating that they needed to carry out an up-to-date assessment to check she was receiving the right amount of pension credits - she could be entitled to more.

Long story short - they have told her that it turns out she is not entitled to PC as the private pension (her husbands) she receives was not declared on her claim (that the bloke said 'someone' had done on her behalf). She has no savings to speak of and apparently never has. I have known my work colleague for several years (and her Mum) and they are both as straight as a dye.

This goes back around 7 years - after she lost her husband.

She is really worried.

Has anyone else come across this situation? It sounds to me like it was a genuine oversight and her Mum just signed the paperwork.

Why have they left it this length of time before the re-assessment?

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks in advance.

Foxy
    Tags: None

Re: Overpayment nightmare

If the DWP are not told all the Facts stands to reason they will claim any overpayment back.whether there is a time limit on this I do not know others may,
    In a sense not declaring any Income can be an offence even if the forms were filled in by A.N other .

This Government is the first to crack down on benefit and Tax fraud deliberate or not how far they can go back is unsure .
    We had a Genuine Oversite by not declaring a small amount they found out we paid it back I for one would expect others to sorry if this may be harsh but the system has been abused for to long in some case such as Hers a genuine mistake no doubt but if someone is not entitled to a Benefit it needs returning.

Comment

Why is the worried - because she will lose her PC or that they may/will ask for the overpayment to be paid back? I would expect her to get a letter stating the amount of overpayment and asking her to pay it back or an invitation to an Interview Under Caution. Your work colleague could always appeal it on her mum's behalf and try to explain what happened. What's the expected amount of the overpayment?

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.

ILTR - both I would suspect but probably more that she has unknowingly overclaimed!

However, there has been a development.

She gets a call from them - and it turns out that with her pension going up slightly (as it does) this NOW makes her not eligible for PC!!!!!(she is 12p over!!) Yet the guy who spoke to her initially never told her this and implied - well more than implied - that she had thousands to pay back.

So she owes them nothing!! Unbelievable - they are enough to give anybody a bloody heart attack.

Problem solved.

Cheers

Foxy :high5:

Comment

Good to see its sorted just wish that the DWP would get it right first time if money is owed it should be paid back if not this type of mess should never happen .

Comment

Exactly Wales01man - and it's unacceptable for senior citizens to be worried whitless like this for no reason!!

Comment

This stuff happens far too often - in one case the person committed suicide just before the apology came. The DWP should be made far more accountable for their actions. Glad it got sorted in the end.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Unbelievable - she has been told she doesn't owe anything but also is not entitled to anything anymore.

She has then got a letter saying that the head office in Dundee will calculate how much she owes!!

These people need to get a grip!!!. I've told her and her daughter not to worry anyway - whats done is done - someone obviously filled the form in on her behalf - and she is adamant that she has always stated the pension when asked about her income. I think it is their mistake in the first place - and they have just sent the form out to be signed. I know people will jump on the bandwagon and say she should have read it before she signed it - but how many people do?? in reality?? particularly the OAP generation?

It is totally unacceptable to mess people about like this.

We shall see. :yell:

Comment

Yes and the monet has been paid into my account. If you have not go to your local Inland Revenue office and kick up. They will sort it out for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X