• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

18 weeks pregnant, offered a part time job, should i take it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 weeks pregnant, offered a part time job, should i take it?

Hi everyone, i am nearly 19 weeks pregnant, and claiming job seekers, I have been offered a part time job, i wont be entitled to maternity leave so will have to quit. I understand if i quit a job i wont be entitled to any benefit for a while? Honestly I am not in a position to go without for a period of time and this will mean i am not entitled to a surestart grant? Wondered if anyone knew more on the matter
    Tags: None

Re: 18 weeks pregnant, offered a part time job, should i take it?

Have you informed your new employer about the pregnancy ?

At 19 weeks you won't, as you know, have built up enough weeks of work to qualify for maternity pay or allowance. How long have you been out of work for ? The 26 weeks have to be within the 66 weeks before the baby's due date. You can calculate your entitlement here -> https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-maternity-pay

Info on Sure Start is https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-matern...nt/eligibility

Oh, and congratulations xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I have never had a job as I have been my mothers carer since i was 14 x and yes they now about pregnanxy x

Comment

Excellent that they already know about the preganancy How many hours will you be working each week ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

You can claim Income support from 11th week before baby is due.

Have a look at the benefits entitlement calculator https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov...e/portal/ba/lp
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

18-20 maybe more if i am needed to cover for anyone

Comment

Okay. Regardless of how long you will have worked there you will be entitled to Maternity Leave (ie you won't have to quit and can return to your job after your leave) so long as you have a contract and have notified them of your intention to take maternity leave (15 weeks before)

Paywise it seems you wouldn't be entitled to Maternity Pay or Allowance but possibly

You might get one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support - for 11 weeks before your due date up to 15 weeks after your baby is born (also, during your pregnancy if it means you can’t work)

Use the benefits adviser to work out what you can get.

Extra help

You could also get:
              • a £500 Sure Start Maternity Grant (usually if it’s your first child)
              • benefits while you’re not working
              • Child Tax Credits - after the baby is born
              • Child Benefit - after the baby is born

Use the benefits adviser to check what benefits or tax credits you can get.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks x

Comment

Originally posted by steph.b95 View Post
                  Hi everyone, i am nearly 19 weeks pregnant, and claiming job seekers, I have been offered a part time job, i wont be entitled to maternity leave so will have to quit. I understand if i quit a job i wont be entitled to any benefit for a while? Honestly I am not in a position to go without for a period of time and this will mean i am not entitled to a surestart grant? Wondered if anyone knew more on the matter
                  I am surprised you are claiming Job Seekers for being 19 weeks pregnant, I thought when you've reached certain weeks of pregnancy you can claim other benefit like Income Support in my days you claimed Pension and Allowance it was called because you could claim that until your child reached the age of 16 years old.

Comment

Income Support kicks in at 11 weeks before due date
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      Oh, and congratulations xx
                      Indeed.

She was indeed most fortunate to be offered a job. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        Indeed.

She was indeed most fortunate to be offered a job. :grin:
                        Most of the places i have spoken to generally cut coversations short after i tell them! X

Comment

Anything that doesn't involve going on ladders or lifting heavy objects or anything else you aren't supposed to do when you are pregnant. Other than that, anything you can find.

Comment

Originally posted by steph.b95 View Post
                            Most of the places i have spoken to generally cut coversations short after i tell them! X
                            I was marched off the premises at 6 months and sacked! Took them to court and lost!

Well done on getting a job, congrats x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X