• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

7months still waiting........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7months still waiting........

According to the DWP, a decision should be made and notified to a claimant within seven working days of the DWP receiving report from ATOS. The maximum time any claimant should have to wait for a decision is 13 weeks.

Giving credit where it is due, the DLA office at Blackpool tend, more often than not, to make decisions within 14 days of information being sent to them by a claimant. This is my own experience of them. I have to disclose that I have been waiting six months for a decision as to whether I should be moved from the WRAG to Support Group, due to my condition worsening. The DLA office made a decision within 14 days of my informing them.

If it is ATOS who are dragging their feet, then a letter can be drafted to enquire as to what stage your case is at. Likewise with the DWP. However, once one or both go past the 13-week mark, then, potentially, they are acting unlawfully as Article 6, Human Rights Act 1998, requires a public authority to deal with a person's affairs in a timely manner and Section 6 of the Act makes it unlawful to perform any act that is incompatible with a person's rights under the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). 13 weeks is, generally, regarded as "timely".

As for ATOS's claim that there is a backlog, I am somewhat sceptical of this claim and hold the view it is a smokescreen to disguise the fact they wanted out of the contract. Why? My suspicion is that claimants have become more savvy and threatened ATOS with legal action, using pro bono representation, under Section 6 of HRA, due to ATOS being classed as a "public authority" due to them carrying out functions - medical assessments - on behalf of a government department, which is classed a public authority in any case. You should also be aware that, in addition to requiring a public authority to deal with a person's affairs in a timely manner, Article 6 confers the right to a fair hearing. Changing or omitting relevant facts from reports, resulting in a DWP Decision Maker's decision being skewed wrongly against the claimant and denying them support to which they are legally entitled is something for which ATOS has form. Is it little wonder ATOS is banned from operating in a number of U.S. states and Mainland European countries. They have also been branded "the biggest disability denial factory" by U.S. state legal officers.
    Last edited by bluebottle; 8th May 2014, 15:04:PM.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I cant help much in the mental health stakes but there are some practical steps your daughter and your mental health worker may be able to make .
      Have you been to the foodbank to ensure that you get enough to eat. There are charities to help with personal financial need particularly if you a member of a church or similar organisation .

Check that you are getting all the other benefits to which you may be entitled.
      Keep on at ATOS and at your MP.

Comment

Hi thanks for replies very much appreciated ,i dont think i have the strength to fight them anymore,so they win an i will just sit back an wait !Thanks anyway to all !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X