• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Signing off/NSA/self-employed carework

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing off/NSA/self-employed carework

Hello there beagles. please feel free to offer me some support and guidence as I am currently on ESA in the support group but I am toying with the idea of becoming self employed as a careworker. I am fully trained in geriatric care with dementia training.

​​Not to sound egotistical but I know I am a good carer and I really feel like I have something to offer. I want to be able to offer my support/services for anyone regardless. Basically I feel good quality care is so expensive and I would like to be able to step in if finance is a problem. Pay/donate whatever you can afford.

That is the plan but how do I roof over my head. I have hears of or looked online about the new enterprise allowance. Does anyone have any experience with claiming this and would they see care work as a valid business?

I dunno any suggestions appreciated. I already have insurance but if something I should know or forgotten please feel free to comment.
    Tags: None

I can not see how to edit the above so I apologise for the spelling/grammatical errors.

Comment

Depending on whether you are in a full service Universal Credit area or not will affect what happens to you when your income changes. I am assuming that being on ESA with SC, you will have a Housing Benefit claim in pay.

If you are in a Universal credit area, the change in your income will mean that you need to apply for Universal credit with Housing costs as your local authority will be unable to continue paying housing benefit. As UC replaces Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, Jobseekers Income Based, Employment and support allowance Income Based and Working Tax credits, this is a one way ticket. So if you claim Universal Credit you can never again make a claim for Housing Benefit unless you live in Supported accommodation or are of pension age or have more than 2 children. Because there is no limit on how many hours you can work when you claim UC, you can be either self employed or full time employed. Their advisors will be able to give advice from the aspect of Enterprise allowances etc.

If you are not in a Universal Credit area then you will be able to come off ESA and continue your claim for Housing Benefit based on (self employment - projected earnings at first) and you will still be able to claim the other benefits such as Tax Credits. However with the rate that areas are changing to Full Service areas, your claim would change to UC in the future.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X