• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it too late to complain about hospital treatment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late to complain about hospital treatment?

My husband & I were divorced but lived together and shared household expenses.

In summer 2010, he was admitted to hospital as an emergency, three days later was diagnosed with terminal cancer which a doctor told me meant his life span would be 'months, not years. He was never in the cancer department. Keyhole surgery failed to repair an obstruction so an operation was performed to insert a metal tube between his liver and gall bladder. Something went wrong and he was resuscitated twice but recovered and was in good spirits. Two days after the operation, he mentioned that he was leaking yellow fluid when he passed urine. He was taken to a single room, his condition deteriorating rapidly. He had very severe yellow diarrhoea, no cancer treatment, only as I understood it, treatment for the diarrhoea and morphine for the pain. Three weeks after going into hospital, he had a DNR notice put on his records. In my presence, he told a registrar that his quality of life was intolerable and he had decided to refuse the treatment that was keeping him alive. The registrar mentioned Clostidium. Without treatment, he died 48 hours later. I believed that he contracted CDiff from an infected catheter inserted into his bladder prior to the gall bladder/liver operation.

Our adult daughter and I complained, but we were grieving and very badly distressed by the way his quality of life had become so intolerable that he had chosen to die. At a meeting, the hospital denied that he had had the operation and said there was no evidence to support a diagnosis of CDiff. We didn't take the matter any further because we were too distressed and had no fight in us.

Last week, my daughter was prescribed an antibiotic called Metronidazole. This seems to have triggered my memory of my former husband's hospital treatment and death. He was treated with this medication....it is an antibiotic used to treat CDiff. I'm wondering if, after nearly ten years, it is worth raising another complaint.

Advice would be welcomed. Thank you.
    ​​​​​​

​​​​​

​​​
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X