• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Doctor Refused treatment as I was born with a Cleft Palate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Refused treatment as I was born with a Cleft Palate

Hello

I am unhappy about the way I was treated at a Doctors surgery and wondered if anyone may have any thoughts or advice on the matter please.

It was my first appointment as a newly registered patient at a local GP practice. The appointment was with a Nurse for my ear syringing (which was explained to the Receptionist at the time of making the appointment).

The Nurse asked me some questions including whether I was born with a Cleft Palate, I said yes.
    The Nurse then summoned the lead Nurse who advised that they would not syringe my ears because it's Practice Policy not to do this for people born with Cleft Palates.
    I explained that I have had my ears syringed all of my life and have never been refused before nor experienced any problems as a result of the treatment.
    The Nurse made me an appointment with a Doctor to discuss.
    The Doctor agreed that it should be on a case by case basis and that as I have had it done before he was happy for me to have it done and so went off to speak to the Nurse.
    The Doctor returned and told me that he had to 'put his foot down' as having spoken again with the Nurse they had agreed to refuse the treatment as they did not have my medical records yet as I was a new patient and therefore could not verify that I had indeed had the treatment before.
    I asked them to telephone my old surgery who could confirm that I have and that I am not a liar.
    The Doctor advised that it was unlikely he would get confirmation now as the Nurse was going for her lunch in 15 minutes!

I had been held at the surgery going back and forth with this palava for 2 hours at this point (when I was supposed to be at work) and they were basically saying that they didn't want to try and resolve it now as it was lunch time!
    I argued that I felt discriminated against and asked who wrote the 'practice policy' and on what grounds the policy not to syringe Cleft Palate people was based.
    The Doctor advised it was National Policy to which I disagreed as many other practices will perform the treatment.
    The Doctor asked if I would like a consent form, I said yes.
    The form had a bullet point list of circumstances under which syringing should not be done and at the bottom a statement that the patient understood and the risks had been explained and then a signature and date line.
    I read and began to sign the consent form when the Doctor stopped me and advised that I had misunderstood, he was merely showing me the form which proved that they could not perform the treatment on Cleft Palate patients and the intention was not for me to sign it.
    I said that surely the form was designed for the patient to sign and agree to treatment despite the supposed risks, thus removing liability from the Doctor/Nurse/Practice.
    The Doctor disagreed and I left feeling very stressed, upset, still hard of hearing and a bit discriminated against.

The Receptionist should have mentioned this policy on the telephone when I booked the appointment.
    I don't understand why the Nurse made me an appointment to see a Doctor who said he was happy for her to go ahead for her to then over rule him anyway?
    I also wasn't offered any alternative treatment. I have since used an ear candle from Holland & Barrett which has done the trick!

Does anyone have any knowledge about this sort of thing? Can the Practice do this? Do I have any rights that supersede them 'putting their foot down?' Can anyone suggest what course of action I should take about the way I was treated as I don't want anyone else to go through it, it was very upsetting and I really did hate the feeling that because of the way I was born I had this stressful encounter, I honestly wished I had never declared the information!

Many thanks for your time.
    Last edited by FreeBit; 20th April 2018, 13:02:PM. Reason: In my upset haste I misspelt palate (cringe!)

Hello

I don't have any knowledge of this but if you believe that the GP is wrong and should have carried out the syringing of your ears then you should instigate their complaints procedures and get an full explanation in writing as to why they won't do it and to clarify what "national policy" suggests that those with a cleft palate should not be treated.

That being said, a quick google suggests there may be some sort of policy out there (whether that is a national one remains to be seen) so you might want to take a look at the following link which is a policy for NHS Trust in the Wirral. You'll see page 4 sets out examples of when ear syringing should not take place, including those with a cleft palate.

http://www.wirralct.nhs.uk/attachmen...are18Feb13.pdf
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob

Thank you kindly for reading my rant and for taking the time to make suggestions. You're right I would like some clarification from the surgery and I fully intend to complain as you advise. There is a complaints procedure which begins with the Practice Manager. Before I send a letter I hope to garner a bit of weaponry in the form of knowledge. I'll do some Googling this weekend and have a look at the link you sent to me.

Also grateful for your correct spelling of 'palate'...mortified at my own mispelling!

Cheers

Comment

Not to worry, always best to do some background checks than writing to them like a bull in a china shop, especially if there are genuine reasons why it is not recommended and more particularly if you are going to allege something as serious as discrimination.

The link I mentioned above was just one of several links that appears to have (almost) like for like wording of certain GP surgery policies. I used the search terms "ear syringing cleft palate" but you may also want to substitute the word syringing for irrigation and see if other helpful explanations come up.

Nonetheless and for your own peace of mind, you should still make a complaint if you have not been fully advised as to why you were refused treatment. Citing "national policy" is unhelpful and does not explain why the treatment should be refused but it may be that a full assessment should be carried out before deciding to treat you, in which case they might not have followed the correct procedure.

Once you've got their response in writing, you can then determine what options may be available to you then.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Rob. Absolutely, good points, well made

I shall let you know!

Thanks immensely, wishing you a superb weekend.

Comment

I had the same problem where syringing was refused for one ear because I had an operation many years ago on my middle ear. There are alternatives but probably not available at the doctors surgery but at your local hospital, with the usual wait. This involves the use of a suction probe to clear the ear. The procedure is also available privately at a small cost. It seems that some of those offering the procedure are ones offering private hearing aids.

Comment

Hi Ostell

Thank you for taking the time to review and respond to my post. I have resolved the hearing issue now using an ear candle, thanks for your suggestions however I shall bare them in mind for the future. Interesting to know that you were also refused due to your op.

Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X