• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ESA- complicated. Returning to work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESA- complicated. Returning to work.

This is a little complicated so bear with me;
    my partner has been on esa for some time due to illness. His claim is joint as I look after him/ we have a family.. but letters are only addressed to him etc.

I have been job hunting as I really want to return to work and regain some independence for myself. I have some problems that I’m unsure of though.

firstly - I have no documentation showing my NI number - what do I do? All letters from dwp aren’t in my name. My council tax letters don’t show NI’s. I lost my card a really long time ago unfortunately. I know my NI but know this isn’t enough to prove my identity etc.

secondly - if I’m given a job what will happen to my partners esa claim? I ideally want to be working full time, although I do have a child at primary school so I am happy to do on the longer end or part time.

Thirdly - I know employers need a p45 but in my case I won’t have one so what do I do? Do the dwp give me something to give to them?

I feel reallt confused about everything and it’s getting me down already. I just worry I’m going to be frowned upon for being in receipt of benefits but I really want to try hard to get full time employment.

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

If you have lost your NI number you should contact HM Revenue and Customs. You can either complete the online form on the HMRC website, or call the National Insurance enquiries helpline on 0300 200 3500 (lines are open 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).

Re ESA it depends on whether it is contribution based or income based . Good explanation here: http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/emp...port-allowance

You should eventually receive P45 from DWP, but in meantime I think your employer uses P46 form (might be out of date on that

There is no reason for feeling frowned on for claiming what is rightfully yours.
    Be proud that you have a family and are doing your best and to hell with those who pretend their good fortune makes them feel superior
    Good luck.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X