• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

On going care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On going care

Home for three weeks after having a stroke. Been having daily care and under the impression it would be for six weeks This is not the case and apparently chargeable from last weekend, The person in charge missed an appointment last week but came ,eventually on Wednesday, no real apology or explanation how the charging policy works but informed me that the carers ( they have been wonderful) provided would finish on th wind and that Jark Home care would take over ( no consultation again). One of the manager came yesterday filing in a mammoth form which took almost an hour! She, after I asked informed me that hey only had Male carers in my area one of whom was 18. Not happy with that so do I have the right to refuse ? Me and Mr DT are trying on our own and managed this morning
    Last edited by dogtired; 7th December 2018, 11:44:AM. Reason: Spelling
    Never give up, Never surrender.
    Tags: None

Hi DT
    Sorry to hear of your stroke, and trust you are recovering well.

Whilst you have a right to refuse, I don't know if the domiciliary care provider must automatically provide a same sex carer.
    Presumably you told the manager of your understandable unease, especially if the care provided includes things like help with bathing.

If you are unhappy you can refer it back to the council who are responsible (they can outsource the work, but still retain responsibility).
    You could also involve your local councillor, and if necessary the local press (inappropriate care provision?)

Good luck, and hope you continue to make progress

Des

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi DT
      Sorry to hear of your stroke, and trust you are recovering well.

Whilst you have a right to refuse, I don't know if the domiciliary care provider must automatically provide a same sex carer.
      Presumably you told the manager of your understandable unease, especially if the care provided includes things like help with bathing.

If you are unhappy you can refer it back to the council who are responsible (they can outsource the work, but still retain responsibility).
      You could also involve your local councillor, and if necessary the local press (inappropriate care provision?)

Good luck, and hope you continue to make progress

Des
      Thank you , Going to tell the Council tomorrow. Mr DT and I have managed by our selves over the weekend. Hope he will continue to do so. Cannot find any ratings for the new agency apart from employees which are very negative Not sure if I should name them here.
      Recovery bid slow but steady, thankyou

Comment

Good to hear you managed over the weekend and recovering, but I wouldn't suggest you necessarily mention that to the council.

One of our friends also had a stroke just over a year ago, and from seeing them I would not underestimate the amount of help that is needed.
        Obviously each case is different, but even a mild stroke (is there such a thing?) can have a profound effect on the relationship due to the amount of stress it can generate.
        Push for all the help you can, from carers with whom you feel comfortable

Comment

Good to hear you managed over the weekend and recovering, but I wouldn't suggest you necessarily mention that to the council.

One of our friends also had a stroke just over a year ago, and from seeing them I would not underestimate the amount of help that is needed.
          Obviously each case is different, but even a mild stroke (is there such a thing?) can have a profound effect on the relationship due to the amount of stress it can generate.
          Wil do!

Comment

Spoke to both the council and the agency today,despite her promises he would get back in touch she has not.
            The agency did and confirm it would be a " young" Care worker (23 soil young to me!) she said she would have to refer back to the council . Have found out as all that I maybe liable for any costs from last weekend. ​

Comment

Don't know your financial position but make sure you are getting all the help available..
              I'm thinking in terms of attendance allowance and carers allowance.
              These sites might be useful https://www.carersuk.org & www.turn2us.org.uk

enaid might have some useful input

Comment

Don't know your financial position but make sure you are getting all the help available..
                I'm thinking in terms of attendance allowance and carers allowance.
                These sites might be useful https://www.carersuk.org & www.turn2us.org.uk

enaid might have some useful input
                in the process of applying for attendance allowance apparently once you have been "approved" you can then apply Ford careers allowance. (You are supposed to wait six months" Blue badge has the same wait as well( council again) why the wait?
                The theory is a Stoke can improve and yes I can mobilise.with help in the house and in and out of the car but it will be a while before I can get around in aided.

Comment

I believe the six month wait is because the allowance and blue badges are considered long term benefits.
                  Presumably they think that no matter how severely permanently disabled a person might be, they might have a visit from ATOS or CAPITA professional which brings about a sudden miracle cure.

Comment

Kati can you please retitle" on going care" Thank you,
                    Meanwhile had to get the information my self! Norfolk County Council are very slow but narrowed down the charges to £16. 98 an hour and seem happy to let clients build up a bill so it would seem good that I stopped it when I did nearly £100 for just over five hours as it is!
                    Last edited by dogtired; 21st April 2018, 08:08:AM.

Comment

Six month on and now got a bill for over £90.00! The response was I " have" to pay it or they send in the debt collectors Now agreed (reluctantly) to payment plan and to send me the financial assessment t. Don't need any more stress in my life. The collecting is now done by Capita by the way.
                      Last edited by dogtired; 8th December 2018, 07:54:AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Nice to hear from you again DT, feisty as ever
                        Trust your condition continues to improve

Comment

Nice to hear from you again DT, feisty as ever
                          Trust your condition continues to improve
                          Indeed! The dog won't let go ,if as I suspect my income comes below the limit they would have to refund me but as I don't trust them I would rather Chase them for thirty pounds than ninety odd!

Comment

Form arrived today, give me ten days to return typically despite all information in writing that any care was for six weeks, as you know the bill was for more than ninety pounds ( about five and a half hours) and based on my income the form has space to include Mr DT income. We did not start getting Attendance Allowance until June
                            Apparently that is included also we own our house just over eight years left. I still don't want to rock any boats as I may need care in the future. Just feel they do not give enough information or help.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtired View Post
                              Form arrived today, give me ten days to return typically despite all information in writing that any care was for six weeks, as you know the bill was for more than ninety pounds ( about five and a half hours) and based on my income the form has space to include Mr DT income. We did not start getting Attendance Allowance until June
                              Apparently that is included also we own our house just over eight years left. I still don't want to rock any boats as I may need care in the future. Just feel they do not give enough information or help.
                              Well it took them six months and two weeks to refund me.
                              Did a freedom of information request and all that came back was similar to a SAR. Not sure if its worth fighting but on all leaflets I have it us still saying Personal care us for " up to six werks" think that needs changing so some other poor sod is not left in the dark.
                              In any case County Council is in dire straits due to lack of funding.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X