• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tax credit overpayment claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax credit overpayment claim

One of my sons has recently been sent a letter claiming he owes tax credit overpayments from 7 years ago, [hes not the only one] the problem is he says he doesnt owe it as he got a very small amout when he had a son living with him, and when the son left, my son contacted Tax credits and informed them, but they are saying he stopped them a month over when he should have done
    They are now deducting it at over £40 a month out of his Universal credits,which leaves hin £40 a week to pay bills, plus part rent, and warden service.,
    He has ongoing serious health problems including strokes, and mobility issues
    Can anyone offer any advice please?
    Tags: None

Send an SAR to DWP to find out exactly what has been happening.

When they sent him the letter about overpayment it should have set out full details of how, when and why.
    If he thinks it is wrong he needs to challege the decision.
    The options available are set out well here: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...are-my-options

Comment

Thank you for your reply,he first of all rang the tax credits office, and they just said its out of their hands now and in universal credits hands
      The amount is more than i thought it is almost £50 a month, tax credits wont deal with it,but they must have passed it on to UC
      He is trying to get details from his place of work as to where he was livibg at the time these tax credIts were supposed to have been given him,
      They say its because he was a month over they were due to be reassesed that he has to pay the full previous years back
      He could only let them know when it became obvious that he didnt need them anymore, he couldnt tell them before his son left and didnt know his son was leaving
      This is happening to so many people,but i will pass n what you have said

Comment

Hopefully something is being sorted out now about the tax credits situation,the HA is helping him with looking into it,they say they dont think its even legal to pass this[ debt?] onto Universal credits, and leave my son so short of money that he cant afford to pay bills or even enough food,
        Also he has made an appointment with our local MP, but doubt he will do anything ,with the reputation he has for being in agreement with everything the Government has done regarding all the cuts etc

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X