• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DHP: Childs DLA included in income?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wylderose View Post

If you can get this then this is a good thing for you because it will mean that the extra room is automatically awarded within your room assessment meaning that you will be entitled to the 3 bedroom rate of LHA. This may come under review from time to time but would remove the need to jump through hoops for DHP's

As for seeing that the bedroom qualifies, what they are looking for is "A bed in the bedroom that would enable the room to be used for an overnight carer". What they don't want to see is a room packed full of junk that is being used for storage or an office. They want to satisfy themselves that someone outside of the family could spend the night there

This is a standard thing. Discretionary housing payments come out of other funding that is available to the council and is not awarded from the money allocated specifically to paying Housing Benefit. For this reason, if you are awarded an extra room in your assessment and it is backdated then two things happen.

1. Your housing benefit award is automatically updated to the 3 bedroom rate which means that you receive the 3 bed rate from the date of the backdate. This will mean that there will be an underpayment of benefit on your claim which will be released on calculation to your bank account, assuming you are the person paid on the claim.
    2. The amount of the DHP that was paid plus your increased entitlement will take your housing benefit payment over the amount of the housing benefit that you are allowed to receive under the LHA regulations. This is why the DHP has to be cancelled

Local authorities are not allowed to offset DHP Overpayments against Underpayments on claims, so if you have for example £200 DHP overpayment and -£200 underpayment because of the extra room being awarded they cannot just offset one against the other even though it makes sense to do so. They have to invoice the overpaid DHP

So..... If you do get an extra room awarded, don't spend the money. Wait until the invoice arrives and pay it in full. Job done, no overpayment.
    That is really helpful, thank you Wylerose, I understand now.

I have two Ladies coming to my home on Wednesday 30th to see the bedroom. I am still waiting to hear back from the Doctor about the note. I will try to chase him up before Wednesday so that it's all done and dusted by then.

Comment

Big Update:

They have now updated my claim to the 3 bedroom rate.

Thank you so much to all of you who helped me with this. This has made such a huge difference to my and my Little Boy and I couldn't have done it without Legal Beagles.

I am so grateful to you all <3

Comment

That's great news, well done

Wylderose
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Glad to see you have succeeded at last. Good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X