• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Some clarity needed on Conditional Fee Agreements (no win no fee)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some clarity needed on Conditional Fee Agreements (no win no fee)

Thanks to anyone who can help me get clear on this. A friend of mine is in part of a no win no fee agreement with a reputable solicitor group. They have treated her very well and she feels very supported by them, however she's staying with me at the moment and she's been talking through the agreement with me.

As I'm sure you will know the agreement is as follows: (based on an old agreement from before April 2013). If she loses the case her ATE insurance will kick in and prevent her from having to pay the other side's legal costs.

There is a good chance of winning..

She's concerned because if she wins the paperwork says she is liable for solicitor's costs and success fee. (of course she understands that they must be paid). It also says she is entitled to claim these back from the defendant and if the defendant appeals and is granted a reduced fee by the judge, then the solicitor's will accept the reduced fee.

Her concern is what if the defendant refuses to pay at all? The paperwork says the solicitors will send the defendant a judgement...but what if they still refuse to pay. Ultimately she is liable.

She remembers being reassured on all this by the solicitor a year ago at the earlier part of the case, but she cannot remember in what respect and now only has the paperwork. The solicitor knows that she does not have the funds involved at all to pay any costs. It's possible the solicitor said they would wipe them out if the defendant refused to pay but that this is highly unlikely to happen. She's been reading all she can about these agreements but nowhere does anyone talk about risk on winning, only on losing.

She's aware that there is a new law out which prevents solicitors getting their success fee from the defendant now and they have to get it from the claimant's compensation, but no more than 25%. She doesn't think this applies to her because her claim began before the new law and her paperwork quite clearly states back then that she can claim back all costs from the defendant. She doesn't mind if she doesn't get much (or any) compensation, she made the claim to make a point to the defendant about a wrongdoing. She is just very worried about ending up in debt.

Anyone have any thoughts/discussion. Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Some clarity needed on Conditional Fee Agreements (no win no fee)

Anyone any thoughts ? :-)

Comment

Re: Some clarity needed on Conditional Fee Agreements (no win no fee)

Without actually seeing the paperwork, it is difficult to comment.
      I would suggest first step is to discuss her concerns with the solicitors

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X