• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

IVA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVA

Hi all not been around for a while
    I have been in touch with a financial advisor ref us selling up and paying off debts (long story) I have been on a dmp for about 3 years now out of about 6 creditors I only now pay 3 as per my DMP all the others have stopped collecting or changed DCA and never been in touch.
    After getting my Experian report which looks dire no surprise there then she has recommended a IVA what do you all think
    the debts i pay for amont to about 16k add the ones that dont collect and its nearer 30k
    Could I ask for your valued opinions please
    Tags: None

Re: IVA

A bump and an update
    Been researching the above seems like its not always the best deal
    Story is we are selling up and wanted to get a smaller mortgage turns out I am a liability best thing she could suggest was the IVA and OH going it alone with a mortgage but if I have a payment in place with all my creditors is it best not to do full and finals oh and rent a house

Comment

Hiya hun...long time no see xxxxxxxxx....you know I can't help you but one of the bods who can will rock up xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by winner12 View Post
        Hi all not been around for a while
        I have been in touch with a financial advisor ref us selling up and paying off debts (long story) I have been on a dmp for about 3 years now out of about 6 creditors I only now pay 3 as per my DMP all the others have stopped collecting or changed DCA and never been in touch.
        After getting my Experian report which looks dire no surprise there then she has recommended a IVA what do you all think
        the debts i pay for amont to about 16k add the ones that dont collect and its nearer 30k
        Could I ask for your valued opinions please
        If there are creditors that don't chase you, why would you want to start paying them? If you haven't paid or acknowledged the debt in 3 years, you are half way through to statute barred with them. I would just let sleeping dogs lie, in fact, that's what I've been doing myself, just over two years to go.

Furthermore, an IVA is a form of insolvency and thus not dissimilar to bankruptcy for the purposes of credit-worthiness.

If you have been on a DMP for 3 years, that means your defaults will be set to drop off in 3 years time. If you enter into an IVA, it will stay on record for a further six years.

Personally I would stay well clear. If would be useful if you could provide us with a few details regarding your debts such as who they are with, when you took out the card/loan, when you last paid and the outstanding balance to start with.

Comment

A bump and an update
          Been researching the above seems like its not always the best deal
          No, it usually isn't, let's not forget IVAs carry hefty management fees.
          Story is we are selling up and wanted to get a smaller mortgage turns out I am a liability best thing she could suggest was the IVA
          If you enter into an IVA, you won't have a chance to obtain a mortgage for at least six years, being a form of insolvency as noted above.
          and OH going it alone with a mortgage but if I have a payment in place with all my creditors is it best not to do full and finals oh and rent a house
          I would tend to agree, although I don't see why you can't buy a house without entering into an IVA, if your OH is getting the mortgage by himself. Whether you buy or rent would obviously be up to you, but I can't see anything to be gained from the IVA.
          Last edited by FlamingParrot; 7th October 2013, 16:21:PM. Reason: Typo :(

Comment

Hello Inca
            Yes been a long journey and still on if you have a few weeks spare i will fill you in
            Thanks Flamingparrot
            I did feel she was more intent on flogging the IVA once we had seen my experian report other thing she said was we could not say we were moving together as they would tarnish him with my debts on his stand alone mortgage and no one would touch him ,am I been stupid in thinking we could sell our house pay off a couple of big debts put down a 25% deposit on a cheaper property and tackle my frozen interest debts once we have moved
            Sorry to babble on but after a year of redundancy (rubbish pay off ) OH taking a lower paid job he has just secured a new post good salary hooray but we have to relocate hence the need for us to sell up and (tackle our debts) but what she said I feel worse off lumbered with an extra 14K that no one is collecting on and having to lie to get a mortgage
            HELP!!!!!

Comment

Well,,you got FP on the case now hun and she's a smart cookie re finances so f there's a right way to do it,she'll find it for ya.
              I'll let her do her facts and figures on thread and will pm you tomorrow for a catch up xxxx

Comment

Hello Inca
                I did feel she was more intent on flogging the IVA once we had seen my experian report other thing she said was we could not say we were moving together as they would tarnish him with my debts on his stand alone mortgage and no one would touch him ,am I been stupid in thinking we could sell our house pay off a couple of big debts put down a 25% deposit on a cheaper property and tackle my frozen interest debts once we have moved
                No, you are not being stupid at all! However, I would just let sleeping dogs lie with regards to those who are not collecting...

If the interest is frozen on the others, there's hardly anything to worry about, as long as you can afford your DMP payments. If you wanted to, you could always send a CCA request (only to those you are paying for now) and see what they come up with, without stopping payments, at least for now.

Sorry to babble on but after a year of redundancy (rubbish pay off ) OH taking a lower paid job he has just secured a new post good salary hooray but we have to relocate hence the need for us to sell up and (tackle our debts) but what she said I feel worse off lumbered with an extra 14K that no one is collecting on and having to lie to get a mortgage
                HELP!!!!!
                I feel like I'm still missing something here, why do you feel you need to tackle your debts? You say you have 3 who are not collecting and 3 who are happily accepting your DMP payments without adding interest.

I understand the need to sell up due to relocation, but I don't see why you'd want to change anything with your debts. If your credit file is the source of your concern, bear in mind the defaults will stay on for 6 years regardless of whether you pay them or not, they will then drop off also regardless of whether they've been paid or not.

Comment

Thanks Inca
                  That would be great x

Comment

Hi Flaming parrot
                    I was only concerned with the debts because the so called financial women said all would need to paid off to get a mortgage
                    I was only concerned because she said OH could not get a mortgage because of me even if he did it his name only we could not declare that I was going and would have to say out relationship had broken down he would get the mortgage and all sorted sounds really wrong to me hence my arrival here for some honest good advice
                    I have had a few hiccups with my DMP but that was not my fault they just did not play ball but all sorted once more
                    The thing is my experian shows my 3 DMP debts the other 3 that dont chase and some as settled really confusing rating is poor but my OH is squeeky clean so he could get a mortgage with who O dont know does this help
                    Debts I am paying are
                    lloyds credit card 13000 outstanding
                    LOWEL 1000 outstanding
                    CABOT 2 accounts 1500 outstanding

Comment

I did feel she was more intent on flogging the IVA
                      She probably gets commission or a referral fee.

Comment

financial women
                        Prostitutes?

LOWEL 1000 outstanding
                        I'd want to get that below £750 ASAP, as those buggers actually like to make people bankrupt.

Comment

Hi Flaming parrot
                          I was only concerned with the debts because the so called financial women said all would need to paid off to get a mortgage
                          I was only concerned because she said OH could not get a mortgage because of me even if he did it his name only
                          we could not declare that I was going and would have to say out relationship had broken down he would get the mortgage and all sorted sounds really wrong to me hence my arrival here for some honest good advice
                          Your OH should be able to get a mortgage in his sole name unless some of the debts were joint. I'm afraid they've given you the wrong information with regards to paying the debts, it won't make any difference whatsoever for the purpose of getting a mortgage. Once you have a default recorded, it will stay in place, even if it gets marked "settled", it will still show and affect your chances of obtaining credit, especially a mortgage. The lender will expect a borrower to keep up monthly payments, not to default and then pay years later. An IVA would only make matters much worse, by restarting the 6 year clock again and having an insolvency on record.
                          I have had a few hiccups with my DMP but that was not my fault they just did not play ball but all sorted once more
                          The thing is my experian shows my 3 DMP debts the other 3 that dont chase and some as settled really confusing rating is poor but my OH is squeeky clean so he could get a mortgage with who O dont know does this help
                          Debts I am paying are
                          LOWEL 1000 outstanding
                          Your report should show all debts regarding of whether they are chasing you or not. As for the debts above, did you open the accounts before April 2007? The reason I'm asking is because you could check them for enforceability, particularly the £13k one.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                            I'd want to get that below £750 ASAP, as those buggers actually like to make people bankrupt.
                            They have been on a DMP for 3 years, presumably Lowell have been happy with the repayments. If they were to issue a SD, it shouldn't be too difficult to reduce it as it's just £250. I see no reason to worry at this stage. Let's not forget Cel loves Lowell's SDs…

Comment

Hi Flaming parrot
                              I was only concerned with the debts because the so called financial women said all would need to paid off to get a mortgage Well, she would say that , wouldn't she?
                              I was only concerned because she said OH could not get a mortgage because of me even if he did it his name only we could not declare that I was going and would have to say out relationship had broken down he would get the mortgage tripe and all sorted sounds really wrong to me hence my arrival here for some honest good advice
                              Debts I am paying are
                              LOWEL 1000 outstanding
                              Hello Winner

The problem is that there is a swarm of vultures praying on those in debt and insolvency solutions are a nice little earner for those who administer them, whether they be bankruptcy per se or IVAs.

Anyone can call themselves a "financial advisor" and for some years it has given them a license to mint money (particularly as far as preying off debtors is concerned). There are people here of phenomenal financial skill who will empower you at no charge.

A well-informed little bird is more worth listening to!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X