• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaiming unjustified fees from Mortgage company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaiming unjustified fees from Mortgage company

I had an interest only mortgage with Rooftop Mortgages whose term became overdue for repayment. Always planned to sell to repay...no problem, and Rooftop was fully aware of this.
    Never missed or late with payment.

However a few months ago I had a letter from their Solicitors simply asking what my proposals for repayment were, and then stated that if not repaid, repossession proceeding etc would be taken and IF THAT happened there would be legal fees. I obviously responded immediately and told them Rooftop already knew I was selling the property to repay.

Nothing happened, the house has been sold and the mortgage repaid. However, the redemption statement included fees of £926!! I have raised a Formal Complaint with Rooftop about these not being justified but accepted the redemption figure as I did not want to delay completion of the sale/repayment of the mortgage. I await their response.

I told Rooftop that following completion I would issue a SAR and then proceed to the Financial Ombudsman to recover these unjustified fees, if they are not returned.

My question is: Is the Financial Ombudsman the best route to go to do this?
    Tags: None

redemption statement included fees of £926!!
    What were the fees listed as being for?

Have you sent the SAR off ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

The Redemption Fee should be stated in the mortgage Ts & Cs. They can't charge you more than that amount.

However you say that there had been correspondence from their solicitors after the mortgage term had expired so check to see whether those legal costs were included in that £926 figure. Then check to see if there is anything in the Ts & Cs about them being entitled to claim any legal costs in relation to 'recovering' the loan.

Rooftop is a closed book lender but they are currently authorised and regulated by the FCA so your complaint would go to the FOS assuming this was a regulated (residential) loan not an unregulated (BTL) loan> http://rooftopmortgages.com/

Di

Comment

The redemption certificate just says 'fees'. When I queried on the telephone they said it was for starting repossession proceedings . When I said they hadn't done that they said oh.... and £200 for communication through emails via our solicitor. (Rooftop don't do emails....).
        I have requested a full breakdown of hours/tasks.

The Redemption Fee should be stated in the mortgage T & Cs. They can't charge you more than that amount.
        >>>> There is nothing in those (originally Platform Holdings) to say that. A previous list of fees from Rooftop only state that IF repossession proceedings went ahead there would be charges. Their solicitor has confirmed in writing they have NOT started such an action.

However you say that there had been correspondence from their solicitors after the mortgage term had expired so check to see whether those legal costs were included in that £926 figure.
        >>> that is what they claim...but the solicitors only asked what my repayment proposals were......which Rooftop ALREADY KNEW!!!

Then check to see if there is anything in the T & Cs about them being entitled to claim any legal costs in relation to 'recovering' the loan.
        >>>> only if repossession proceedings

Rooftop is a closed book lender but they are currently authorised and regulated by the FCA so your complaint would go to the FOS assuming this was a regulated (residential) loan not an unregulated (BTL) loan> http://rooftopmortgages.com/
        >>>> excuse my ignorance...what is FOS??

Not yet sent off the SAR - waiting for their final response and will send after 26 May - free!!

Comment

FOS -> http://www.financial-ombudsman.org/c...complaints.htm
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Barclays First Reserve never explained to us never given any advice and never told we were entering anything other than a repayment mortgage.
            mick thomas.

Comment

Thanks, Mac.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X