• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another CCJ Set Aside Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another CCJ Set Aside Question

Hi,

I was hoping to receive some advice as my research has turned up very mixed indications on the possibility of getting a CCJ set aside.

I checked my credit file and I have a ccj for approaching £5000, to an Arrow Global.

I know what it was, although it has grown some! It was a ~£4000 Halifax overdraft.

The CCJ was registered in September 2017, the documents were sent to a previous - previous address (I presume based on where it is registered).
    I have not been hidden I have been registered to vote at my previous address and my current address. I have had mail redirects running for 3 to 6 months after each move.

Now here is the detail.

I do not know who Arrow Global are, they have never written to me, I have never been informed that they now own this debt.
    Just before the transfer / sale of the debt - I can see on my credit record it happened January 2015, I was paying Halifax, it was for an overdraft on a bank account, which I was no longer actively using, there were issues not least due to the huge amount of interest, but this was getting paid, perhaps as much as £800 in the last 3 months.

Contact Halifax to negotiate paying off the debt in a more formal agreement January 2015, was told that I did not owe them any money, and that they could not accept any money, the debt was being sold on, they were doing this to lapsed accounts with overdrafts, they did not have the details of the new creditor, but they would be in touch and I had to pay them.

I heard nothing, for 12 months! And then I moved.
    I lived at my new address for nearly a year with a 3 month mail redirect, after that I moved again, this time with a 6 month mail redirect.

Nothing what so ever, explaining they owned the debt, asking for payment, or court papers.

What bugs me is, I would have been in a position to pay this off in full had they approached me, I still can / would, but ...

I want the ccj gone, what are my chances of getting this set aside, to then pay in full?
    Should I contact Arrow Global to discuss this before going for the set aside?

Am I just stuffed, and have to accept the ccj?

Thanks for any advice.

Tags: None

Morning,

Have a read of my guide on the link below, that should give you a flavour. Crucial to setting aside a CCJ is knowledge of when you became aware.

Setting aside a deafult judgment
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by AppleBoy View Post
      I do not know who Arrow Global are, they have never written to me, I have never been informed that they now own this debt.
      Originally posted by AppleBoy View Post

I want the ccj gone, what are my chances of getting this set aside, to then pay in full?
      Should I contact Arrow Global to discuss this before going for the set aside?
      Good. You should make an application under CPR Part 13.2 & 13.3 stating that you did not receive the claim form in a witness statement due to it going to an old address. If you can get proof you redirected your mail when you moved that'll only strengthen the application. Once set aside you can then either negotiate settlement with the claimant or defend it, up to you. I'd think if you offer about £2K they'll accept settlement.

Write to the claimant requesting the consent to setting it aside and setting a 7 day deadline for response, if they consent great and if the refuse or you don't hear then file the application. The court requires you to apply promptly after finding out you have a judgement against you, so you can't mess about as you could scupper your chances.

If they agree it's a cost of £100 and if not £255 to file the application, which if successful you can ask the court awards the claimant to pay you.

When it comes to negotiating the settlement then you only do it in writing with a heading of "Without Prejudice Save As To Costs" and you make it clear if acceptable to them they must respond confirming that the figure represents "full and final settlement" of debt and that they will file a notice of discontinuance in claim X (the claim number).

Once you have that letter, you make payment as agreed and keep a record of the payment being made.

More info on set aside here: http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...tailed-version

Edited to add due to R0bs post above: My link is to his guide.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        Morning,

Have a read of my guide on the link below, that should give you a flavour. Crucial to setting aside a CCJ is knowledge of when you became aware.

Setting aside a deafult judgment
        Thank you Rob, I have literally learned of the ccj this week.

I appreciate the guidance and I will check out your guide, thanks.

Comment

Thanks JaguarUK, I very much appreciate the advice.

I will update this thread with my actions and the outcome, so hopefully it can help others.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X