• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Money transfer to a sibling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post

Sorry this is wrong. The 3000 limit is an overall total not per person.

I know this via my parents financial advisor
    Okay, stand corrected.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Jim View Post
      The deeds are in my name and I have a mortgage on the house now. He has no present or future legal rights on the property. I bought the house from my mum (she is still alive). There was a large outstanding mortgage which I had to pay off. Once bought, the property had 40k equity in it. As this 40k would have been our future inheritance, I agreed to give him 20k.

Is your Mum still living in the house?

Are you living in the house?

You say you bought the house but do you mean you paid the current market value for it or did you pay off/replace the existing mortgage and 'acquired' the existing £40k equity in the property (which you agreed to split with your brother eventually)?

If it was the latter then you need to take a step back to see if that would cause your Mum any problems in the future if she were to face assessment for care home fees and whether that transaction would be considered as a 'gift with reservation' if she were to continue to live in the property.

I'm not giving tax advice (only a qualified tax adviser can do that) but I'm a Mum who looked into this issue in relation to my daughter and my property.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
        There are also other ways around it.

If you have a partner and children you could give them £3K each and then they feeling very generous could give your brother £3K each.
        I'm not sure that would be a way round it since the annual allowance is for "gifts".

If money is given to a third party (partner/children) with no intention of it being a gift for their benefit but solely for the purpose of providing a vehicle for the money en route to a brother then I'm not sure that's acceptable.

There's a fine line between legitimate tax avoidance and tax evasion.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post

The 3000 limit is an overall total not per person.

I know this via my parents financial advisor

I know that too for the same reason

It's explained here on the Government website > https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Red Jim View Post
            but am concerned about attracting negative attention or fees if I just do it as a bank transfer
            I don't see why transferring money from your account would cause you a problem but a large sum of money being paid into your brother's account may attract the attention of his bank if this is an unusual occurrence.

Perhaps he should alert them in advance that the money will be arriving from a family member to avoid any money laundering questions.

The FCA advises banks to "know their customers" when it comes to any untypical financial transactions on their accounts.

Di

Comment

It is not clear whether you live in the house concerned.
              If you do and it is your only or main residence (you can elect main) then no CGT will be payable when you sell it.
              If you do not live their and there is no election you probably will be liable to CGT.
              In either event you can give whatever you like away and this will not affect CGT.
              IHT - as mentioned above - is a different matter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X