• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA Group Vanquis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just a though, but I think you should investigate it. Vanquis has recently been fined a lot of money by the FSA for the way it managed the accounts of many of its customers. This is something you should seriously look into, as you may be entitled to compensation yourself. The fact that the account has been sold makes no difference.

This is the link to the article from the FSA's own website.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-re...tion-customers

I think that a good lawyer might be able to kill this stone dead with one good letter. I had a potential claim against me from Lowell and eventually six months before the debt was due to become statute barred, I got a letter before action from Lowell Solicitors. As it happened, I did have good grounds for disputing the debt, but all it took was one letter from my lawyer and they "stayed" any action until they had "investigated" it. In the event they did nothing about it and they are now out of time by several months. Happy days!

The time to strike at debt purchase firms is right at the outset. Once they have issued and paid the fees, they are more likely to carry on. But if they think you have any sort of argument, they often throw the towel in. Remember that although your debt on paper is £3,600, they will only have paid a small fraction of that amount to acquire the debt. It actually costs them a lot of money if it progresses to a court hearing, as they can only recover the fixed costs. Its a big expense for them to use solicitors, even if they have their own in house firm.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Update - Continuing saga....

Firstly many, many thanks to Di and her fine words of wisdom a few weeks ago. Also thanks to THEDIRTYHOUND for the above information.

After now the second LBA (new style) received in March ( original LBA in Sep 17) I answered this with a couple of boxes ticked - Was Potential ROP involved plus secondly requested a copy of the credit agreement.

I received an initial letter saying on hold until investigations etc....then received a second letter end of may saying basically

1 ROP was sold on this product however it was purchased from "VQ in 2014 with information that it was defaulted" - That bit I don't understand is it they're saying it's not applicable in this case?

2 They resent the online application screen shots, plus separate T&C's that have no name address or account info relating to them, they could be for the purchase of a toaster!

3 I've requested SAR from VQ which is overdue this week and I will chase...I think they're busy!

They've given me another 30 days to respond. Crucially I see in their letter the word "may" take action. My questions:-

Is the online application form enough to be seen as a credit agreement ?( the ref numbers are different to the default notice )

The terms should have something showing they are relative to that account and me by name etc...?

I'm minded not to respond initially as I don't see the need for letter tennis - It's time (if I've a leg to stand on) to let them get on with it or take some other action to supress it?

Thanks In advance

Comment

The application could be sufficient if it contains the prescribed terms ( basically says it's a credit agreement and refers to included terms overleaf etc ) -do you want to post a redacted copy?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks , no problem I'll attach it. SAR also received today - other than customer details all letters, DN, statement running copy, no actual Credit agreement? Click image for larger version

Name:	Appication side 1 redact.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1407888Click image for larger version

Name:	Application Side 2 redact.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1407889

Comment

The T& C attached with the letter do not have any reference on them

Comment

Okay that's not the credit agreement, and you say the terms are just terms, they don't say credit agreement regulated etc on or have your name and address on ?
              So they have not complied with the cca request and thus cannot enforce. Maybe a pic of first page of terms just to check they are generic.

When is the default letter dated and does it give 14 days to pay arrears ?

do statements show ROP ?
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

they usually do not allow for delivery

Comment

Hi thanks for your comments - Here's the T&C as received I kid you not!

I'll recheck the DN and have a look through the statements tomorrow....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_31030.jpg
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1408132Click image for larger version

Name:	image_31031.jpg
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1408133Click image for larger version

Name:	image_31032.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1408134Click image for larger version

Name:	image_31033.jpg
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1408135 Attached

Comment

Just the final update on here. Today received the phone call "Claim Discontinued" some 14 months after starting. Happy Christmas indeed.

I won't be making any more comments here. Just to say a great big thanks to Di with her initial advice, Jo and all the team there with the meat on the bones, who had I not engaged to help me I've no doubt PRA would have gone all the way with a different outcome.

It's ok for me to have this discussed here as to what the team went through etc... if they so wish. But I'll leave the detail as to what was done.

Again many many thanks for the professional manner in which this was dealt with. Highly recommended as they take the stress away I'm over the moon to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernBiker View Post
                        Just the final update on here. Today received the phone call "Claim Discontinued" some 14 months after starting. Happy Christmas indeed.

I won't be making any more comments here. Just to say a great big thanks to Di with her initial advice, Jo and all the team there with the meat on the bones, who had I not engaged to help me I've no doubt PRA would have gone all the way with a different outcome.

It's ok for me to have this discussed here as to what the team went through etc... if they so wish. But I'll leave the detail as to what was done.

Again many many thanks for the professional manner in which this was dealt with. Highly recommended as they take the stress away I'm over the moon to say the least.
                        Well done.

The PRA group do lose the odd case or two, me and Jo have been a pain in their behinds for a while, while we both work at different firms, we aim for the same goals.
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

oh and im sure you would have won, those documents coupled with the Vanquis Defaults which ive seen many of, and the other regulatory issues that often arise its unlikely they would have won this case,
                          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X