• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Debt - Default due to an ex partner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Debt - Default due to an ex partner

So when i was with my ex partner they signed up for a very account online in my name as she had all my details. As she didnt work she would get all the post and hide is so that i didnt know that the account was open.

When we split i found out about the debt when Lowell contacted me. I have asked everyone there but as it was online it is my word against theirs.

I logged this with them and they said they will investigate it. from this they said there is no evidence to support my claim however how would they know as she did it all online and it was for all female items.

The debt got passed to Lowell solicitors and when i call i have to speak to them about payments.

The debt is still owed and i am paying £10 a month off the £1200 balance however the default on my account is stopping me improving my credit file for a mortgage.

I have the money to pay it off in full but i have heard that you can request for Lowell to delete the default if i pay them in full.

Anyone have any advice on how to approach this or what to do to get this removed???

Thanks
    Tags: None

It is unlikely they will remove the default from your credit file, even if you pay in full. They would mark it as settled ( or partially settled if you negotiate a lower settlement figure - and tbh you could probably settle it for 50-60% and your credit file would end up the same as if you paid the full amount ) I mean you could ask, but even if Lowell remove their reports, the reports from the original creditor may still show and you'd have to try and get them to remove it too .... Lowell will have bought the debt from them for something under 20% of the debt, so settling in full for not a lot of gain seems a bit of a waste I'm afraid as if it wasn't removed entirely it would still show a settled for the 6 years from the date it defaulted... do you know when that was?

Your other option is to report it as ID theft/fraud but that could get very messy and difficult to deal with.

James from Experian gives some thoughts on this article http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...wledge-do.html and the preceeding view is that having made some payments already indicates you accept liability for the debt.

CIFAS protection might be an idea if you have any concerns she might open other accounts in your name.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

why pay them - no benefit to you, markers stay for 6 years whatever you do, you pay they win? = you loose regardless double whammy, as far as mortgages are concerned wait a year or so and see how the market pans out up/down??

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        It is unlikely they will remove the default from your credit file, even if you pay in full. They would mark it as settled ( or partially settled if you negotiate a lower settlement figure - and tbh you could probably settle it for 50-60% and your credit file would end up the same as if you paid the full amount ) I mean you could ask, but even if Lowell remove their reports, the reports from the original creditor may still show and you'd have to try and get them to remove it too .... Lowell will have bought the debt from them for something under 20% of the debt, so settling in full for not a lot of gain seems a bit of a waste I'm afraid as if it wasn't removed entirely it would still show a settled for the 6 years from the date it defaulted... do you know when that was?

Your other option is to report it as ID theft/fraud but that could get very messy and difficult to deal with.

James from Experian gives some thoughts on this article http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...wledge-do.html and the preceeding view is that having made some payments already indicates you accept liability for the debt.

CIFAS protection might be an idea if you have any concerns she might open other accounts in your name.
        Is it really true that settled and partially settled will have the same impact on my credit file?

surely if you were going to lend money to someone you would take this sort of thing into consideration?

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X