• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell - BT - have they written it off ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell - BT - have they written it off ?

Hi All,

Been fighting this one since 2015 - long story cut short - i asked BT to change account name from me to ex - or close account and put owed on new account in exs name -
    They never did :

Lowell chased and chased and chased - i complained and complained and complained,

Today i get this :

I write further to our email dated 10 April 2018. Thank you for
    > getting in touch to raise your concerns and for your patience while
    > your complaint has been investigated.
    >
    >
    > My understanding of your complaint
    >
    > 1. You are unhappy, because we contacted you in relation to an
    > account. You state the above account was transferred into your ex
    > partners name.
    >
    > Decision
    > After a thorough investigation of your concerns I am unable to uphold
    > your complaint for the following reasons.
    >
    > Findings
    >
    > 1. I have investigated your concerns with BT. Lowell purchased the
    > account in good faith, on the understanding there were no outstanding
    > disputes or concerns. When you raised your queries we referred these
    > to BT. I have included their response below:
    >
    >
    >
    > · The account is in the customer’s name.
    >
    > · There was no change of address or name on the account.
    >
    > · There was third party authority given to a Mrs ex gfs name was here
    >
    > · There is no evidence to support the customers claims, the
    > last contact BT had with the customer was 03/09/2014 and customer was
    > validated by name and account number.
    >
    > · The customer called to enquire about the debt and was
    > advised of the outstanding amount.
    >
    >
    > Based on this information I am unable to uphold your complaint as the
    > balance is due and owing.
    >
    >
    >
    > Conclusion
    >
    >
    >
    > Notwithstanding my decision please accept my apology for any
    > inconvenience caused.
    >
    >
    >
    > Moving forward: I have made the decision to close the above account
    > in an effort to reach an amicable resolution to your complaint. The
    > account is now closed with a balance of £0.00, as we have received no
    > evidence the balance or default are not valid, the associated default
    > will remain on your credit file for a period of six years from 28
    > June 2015 when BT applied the default. If you have evidence or
    > information to confirm the account is not yours, we are happy to
    > discuss the matter further with you.
    >
    >

Does this actually mean they ( lowell ) have written it off and closed it ?

( ps , there is no default on my credit file )

If. they have written it off, perseverance pays and i have won.

( was for £300 )
    Tags: None

Anyone to confirm

Comment

Hello

the words "written off" does not always means that the creditor (or any debt purchaser) cannot chase you for the alleged debt. It all depends on the context in which those words, or similar words were used.

From looking at the above chain of correspondence, it would appear that Lowell have indeed decided to close their account down and effectively 'write off' the debt balance.

If Lowell decided to pursue you in the future for this debt or decided to sell the debt on to a third party who in turn pursues you, then you may have be able to assert a defence known as estoppel by representation. It is an equitable defence meaning that, you are asking the court to stop Lowell or any third party creditor from asserting their rights because it is contrary to the representations previously made by Lowell i.e. they agreed to close the account down and remove any outstanding balance so it would be unjust or unfair for them to go back on their word.

On a side note, have you tried to send BT a subject access request and see what comes up? At the moment you have to pay a £10 fee but if you hold off until after 25 May, the subject access request will be free of charge.
      Last edited by R0b; 4th May 2018, 09:50:AM.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob

Thanks for the update,. i guessed they have closed it, as it has probably cost them more than what they have paid for the debt, as its been going on since 2014. and i refused to back down, simply because BT have been very inept in transferring/closing the account.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X