• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclaycard Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclaycard Debt

Many years ago I took out a credit card with Goldfish which got taken over by Morgan Stanley and eventually Barclaycard.

There is a £3000 debt on the card which due to illness I have struggled to pay back.

I wrote to Barclaycard back in June requested they send a copy of my credit agreement.

They replied a month later with a long letter. I'm not sure how to respond (or if I need to respond) to parts of the letter:

"A copy of the terms of your credit agreement as varied in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act has been sent to you under separate cover"

I never received this information.

"we are unable to provide historic terms and conditions and accept that we are therefore prevented from enforcing our agreement with you while this state of affairs continues"

"We are currently unable to provide a copy of the credit agreement you entered into. We accept that we are therefore prevented from enforcing our agreement with you while this state of affairs continues"

Am I liable for the outstanding debt?

"With immediate effect, we have suspended your Barclaycard account. This is a temporary measure which will be kept under review. We have not closed your account"

"Notwithstanding that we cannot currently enforce the agreement, our rights continue to exist under the agreement. You should therefore continue to pay the debt that has accrued on your account. We can and will continue to take any action short of enforcement, which includes reporting to credit reference agencies without also telling them that the agreement is currently unenforceable, demanding payment from you, issuing a default notice to you and instructing a third party to demand payment or otherwise seek to procure payment"

"This completes our obligations under section 78 of the Act"

I have since received a 'default notice' from Mercers Debt Collections Limited back in July also, dated 2 days after the letter from Barclaycard.

Would anybody have any advice as to what I should do? Do I ignore it? Or do I need to respond?

Many Thanks for any help you can give
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X