• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hsbc Insurance Premium On Mastercard Statement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hsbc Insurance Premium On Mastercard Statement

Hi, I have to firstly say thank goodness I have stumbled across this Forum, I am really hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

My partner asked me to help him find a 0% Balance Transfer Credit Card, handed me his latest statement to obtain the balance...I questioned the debit that was on there, being: Insurance Premium 79p per 100.00 ??????. When i asked him what this was he didnt have a clue what I was talking about and was totally unaware of having any insurance whatsoever other than Vehicle, which he pays once a year direct to the Broker. I am pretty sure that this must be PPI, and owing to the fact that he didnt know about it, surely he must be entitled to reclaim??
    I really could do with some advice on this one....please, I dont know where to begin.
    Tags: None

Re: Hsbc Insurance Premium On Mastercard Statement

Hi mbtstars and welcome to you. Yes, that is definitely PPI, and if he didn't know about it, then he should reclaim it. It may be that it was cleverly hidden in the application form, and he had to actively opt out of it. Do you have a copy of your application form and/or credit agreement ?

Oh - I forgot to mention, click on the PPI tab at the top of the screen to read up how to reclaim it !!!
    Last edited by Bill-K; 4th March 2012, 21:00:PM.

Comment

Hi Bill-K
      bthank you for yor welcome and prompt reply. He hasn't got original agreement, all we have is statements dating back to 2007, and some between then and now are missing!!!! there is an Agreement on the back of the letter which a replacement card come on. We went along to Hsbc on Friday to obtain Security details to enable us to go Online Banking but again this doesn't give any details regarding any PPI taken out? Seems like its going to be a mission. Thank you so much for your reply, I'll have a peek at the link you suggested.

Comment

It sounds like there could be a fair amount of PPI to reclaim here, then. It may be a good idea to send them a DSAR letter before you make any claim. This costs £10, but it should get you copies of all data which they hold on you, including agreements, applications and statements. See here:

Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

If the account is still running, then another letter you can send is a CCA s.77-79 request, which costs £1, and it should get you a more accurate copy of your original agreement:

Meanwhile, you could start to assemble your claim by checking the reasons why you consider the PPI was mis-sold, and putting your figures into a spreadsheet, which I've attached here.

Comment

Hi, Good Morning, I am sorry I didnt reply to you last night...my eyes ended up crossed trying to take it all in. thank you for your post, I really appreciate your advise. right, then I better get started, let you know how I get on, I will try not to be too much of a pain keep asking for help.
          Thanks again x

Comment

Hi, I have just spoken to HSBC....asked for more information with regards to insurance premium debit on statement, been advised that this is Card Protection Insurance...I explained we were unaware that there was a policy in place, therefore we want to log a complaint and claim back the funds paid to Hsbc. Hsbc have given me a Reference number for the complaint, however i feel I still need to send an DSAR for further info on account? and feel that going ahead with this on paper is the best way forward??
            What do you think?

Comment

Sounds like a good plan to me.
              Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
              It sounds like there could be a fair amount of PPI to reclaim here, then. It may be a good idea to send them a DSAR letter before you make any claim. This costs £10, but it should get you copies of all data which they hold on you, including agreements, applications and statements. See here:

If the account is still running, then another letter you can send is a CCA s.77-79 request, which costs £1, and it should get you a more accurate copy of your original agreement:

Meanwhile, you could start to assemble your claim by checking the reasons why you consider the PPI was mis-sold, and putting your figures into a spreadsheet, which I've attached here.

Comment

Good Evening, I feel like my brain has turned to jelly..Noticed that you highlighted before you make claim, we went to Hsbc today to hand over the letters and the Branch Manager said it wasn't worth it as the lady i spoke to yesterday has already logged the complaint as mis sold policy, we will only confuse matters apparently if we requested any documents as the relevant dept will also be digging them out, she said wait and see whether or not they think you have grounds for refund, if not, then go ahead and request documents...what do I do, go ahead with DSAR etc, I also filled in a questionnaire that was created by FO in 2010 for customers to hand to lenders (HSBC in our case)....sorry to drive you nuts
                Last edited by mbtstars; 6th March 2012, 22:50:PM.

Comment

No big deal, I would still send the DSAR myself, because it gives them less chance to 'lose' any data that they can. It can take 40 days or more for DSAR's to be fully complied with, so don't let them make you wait any longer.

If that's the FOS PPI reclaiming questionnaire, then that's fine - but THINK about your replies. By that, I mean reply honestly, but do NOT give them any info that they may be able to use against you. For example "I found out I could have bought PPI much cheaper elsewhere," could possibly give them reason to offer 'Alternative redress,' which is a reduced amount because you implied that you WOULD have bought PPI if it was cheaper.

Comment

Hi, yes it is the fos consumer questionnaire that I got from Martin Lewis website, there's not really much that we can put on the questionnaire, just filled in the spaces:

what is the policy number of insurance = dont know as wasnt aware the was a policy in place, so just put mastercard number

was the policy single cover or joint cover = presume single as only my name on mastercard,

etc, etc...at the end of the day, we cannot give them any details, as we didnt know it existed.

Also, I have looked for the address of which to send the DSAR (incl 10.00), t&c's (incl 1.00) & questionnaire to as it seems there are different addresses for different queries having read through some peoples threads.

Comment

Technically, the DSAR should go to the Data Controller's office, which is listed on the ICO's website, but I believe the CCA request goes to Head Office. Many people send DSAR's to Head Office, and this is usually OK. I think Di might have posted the addresses earlier here somewhere.

Comment

thank you so much for all your help, i had to get them in post before i read your reply. Just a waiting game now so fingers crossed, i'll keep you updated, and once again thank you.

Comment

Hi, finally an update to our situation, however, if you dont mind I would appreciate your thoughts and advice on what to do next.
                          Hsbc replied to our Questionnaire (FOS) and requests for T&C's & DSAR -
                          enclosed our Cheque for £10.00 saying that we would have to write to the correct department with a completed Questionnaire (FSO) complaining about misseling of PPI....

In this letter, they noted another mastercard account number that we couldnt relate to, therefore we called them and they stated that the insurance policy was originally in place with this mastercard account (old one) and automatically transferred to the current one!?!?!?

Next day another letter saying that they are handling the complaint and would hear from them in 4 weeks....

Today we have received a 2 letters,

It is a letter of redress, too much to type, I wonder would it be possible to mail it to you to enable you to read properly?

many thanks x

Comment

Hi M,

Sorry, this thread slipped my memory - as do many things these days. From what I can tell, you sent the DSAR and the PPI claim to the same address - and maybe in the same envelope ? What they appear to have done is process your PPI claim - and done so in accordance with the FOS guidelines, in that they have checked for any other associated accounts and found one. Card account numbers sometimes change due to loss/theft/upgrades, etc. - and this may be what has happened here.

What we ideally need to do is to evaluate the offer of redress you appear to have been made, and to do this, we need to know how they have calculated their offer. We also ideally want to have as much of our own data as possible, in order to check this. This is why we need the DSAR data, but it appears that you are going to have to re-send the DSAR (ASAP !!!) - and it could take 40 days (sometimes more) before the data arrives.

I wouldn't suggest that you post the offer letter. Can you find someone who can scan it and send it ? If they have given you a deadline for responding to the offer, then I would suggest that you tell them that they returned your DSAR, and that you cannot make an informed decision on whether or not to accept their offer before you have been able to check your own data, and that you would also need to know how they calculated your offer - and on what data their calculation is based.

Comment

Hi bill, thank you, I'm useless at technology stuff
                              Having said that my son has just scanned the letters for me, can I paste onto here, or do I need to email them to you?

thanks
                              Michelle

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X