• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Credit Report

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
    I realise this is an old question that apparently didn't get answered. As it is a question very frequently asked, I'll answer it anyway for the benefit of others.

A default drops off 6 years after it was recorded on your credit file, although it may not be exactly on the same day, could be up to a month later.

Defaults have nothing to do with the Statute of Limitations, Statute Barred is 6 years after last payment or written acknowledgment (5 years in Scotland). Many people keep making reduced or token payments for years after defaulting, in which case the debt may well still be live and not SBd even after it's dropped off the credit file.

Any offer of repayment or settlement it also likely to reset the clock as it constitutes acknowledgment, even when no payment is made. Similarly any court action, even if stayed or discontinued, can reset the clock. :clock:

On the other hand, defaults are usually recorded 3 to 6 months after the first missed contractual payment (as per OFT guidance), but it can be later than that, in which case the debt will be SBd before it drops off the credit file, even more so if the debtor is in Scotland.

The advice often given on other forums of checking your credit file to see if a debt is SBd or not can be highly misleading for the reasons stated above. They are 2 totally separate issues, the confusion arises due to the 6 year period applying to both, but it's not the same 6 year period.
    Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could advise me. I have an old debt to HFC bank, the last payment was made March 2008, It went to to status 6 in September 2008 and has shown late payment markers 6 ever since this date. It shows the debt is for £1928 however It was less than this, I'm sure it was £1700. Please dont judge me on why I did not pay it as it was a very tough time personally. I have had no contact to the debtor at all during this period. They have sent a few letters which I have not responded to. the last one advise that the debt was being transferred to someone else. I live in Scotland and was going to respond to the debt last year but my friend who words for debt collection advised that as its five years for statute limitation in Scotland I would be as well leaving it.

Despite no contact with my the debt has not defaulted and continues to show as late payment.

My question is, after the 5 year period can I contact the lender and tell them to remove the debt as it is no longer valid or will this reset the debt period as it has not defaulted?

I have heard that the markers wont come off my account until the debt shows as settled but as I said no contact in nearly 5 years.

May I thank you for any assistance you can give me.

llolli

Comment

Originally posted by llollipoppi View Post
      Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could advise me. I have an old debt to HFC bank, the last payment was made March 2008, It went to to status 6 in September 2008 and has shown late payment markers 6 ever since this date. It shows the debt is for £1928 however It was less than this, I'm sure it was £1700. Please dont judge me on why I did not pay it as it was a very tough time personally.
      We're here to help, not to judge. :beagle:You'll find a lot of us have debts we haven't paid, we all have our reasons. I haven't paid my credit cards since Jan 2010. :thumb:

I have had no contact to the debtor at all during this period. They have sent a few letters which I have not responded to. the last one advise that the debt was being transferred to someone else. I live in Scotland and was going to respond to the debt last year but my friend who words for debt collection advised that as its five years for statute limitation in Scotland I would be as well leaving it.
      Your friend is correct, it's five years in Scotland, after which time the debt no longer exists.

Despite no contact with my the debt has not defaulted and continues to show as late payment.

My question is, after the 5 year period can I contact the lender and tell them to remove the debt as it is no longer valid or will this reset the debt period as it has not defaulted?

I have heard that the markers wont come off my account until the debt shows as settled but as I said no contact in nearly 5 years.

May I thank you for any assistance you can give me.

llolli
      The debt will show on your credit file for 6 years, after which time it should drop off, regardless of whether it was settled or not.

Comment

Hi can anyone give me some advise pleeeeease????
        ok, so I took a loan out with welcome finance about 6 yrs ago, I then got my PPI back in 2010 resulting in me having to resign paperwork. I still owe £8k and have been paying also never missing a payment. Today I checked my experian as we are trying to get a new mortgage and it says my welcome finance loan was satisfies/paid in full in 2010... I'm so confused????? There is nothing on my credit file under any name it literally says I am in no debt??????? Do I stop paying them? Honest opinions of what u would do please?????

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
          We're here to help, not to judge. :beagle:You'll find a lot of us have debts we haven't paid, we all have our reasons. I haven't paid my credit cards since Jan 2010. :thumb:

Your friend is correct, it's five years in Scotland, after which time the debt no longer exists.

The debt will show on your credit file for 6 years, after which time it should drop off, regardless of whether it was settled or not.
          Hello, the debt is still showing on my account as late payment and its been over 6 years that any payments are made. I understand that in Scotland the debt is statute barred.

I suppose the question is how do I go about getting this rectified in my credit file. Do I contact credit reference agencies or do I contact the company?

Thanks for any help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X