• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Brighthouse – a necessary evil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighthouse – a necessary evil?

When you have a very small income and your fridge breaks down, what do you do ? Lenders such as Brighthouse can fill a gap for essential white goods, reminiscent of the old Radio Rentals / HP. Consumers on low incomes may find it easier to budget a weekly amount for such things, with the protection of breakdown cover and replacement if things go wrong. But are they paying too high a price?

Alternatives might be to use your local credit union for a small loan to enable you to purchase essentials such as fridges/washing machine without paying the sky high interest rates of the credit stores.

The Charity Shops, particularly British Heart Foundation, have large electrical departments in many towns, although their prices have risen massively in recent years.

Second hand stores, ebay, freecycle and facebook swap groups are other alternatives.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 9th April 2014, 08:06:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Brighthouse – a necessary evil?

We have food banks why not Homegoods banks? Any good used articles could be given to those in need via a Bank type orginisation electrical goods may be a problem but as the market on the likes of Ebay don't test goods sold this may not be a problem In most areas there a freecycle websites that like the one in my area have lots available .
    Problem is that a lot of people wont have secondhand they must have the latest most up to date gismos then they go to the companies like Brighthouse and get stung with high costs

Comment

Personally, I've never used Brighthouse, because I do think they are very overpriced to begin with and the interest rates are horrid, and I'm just not organised enough to make the payments. I prefer to buy things through ebay. If I do need new (mainly christmas presents) I do have a catalogue account which is also overpriced and high interest rates, but I'm organised enough to buy enough at a time to buy now pay next year interest free and do keep right on top on my payments so never pay any of the 49% APR they'd charge if I didn't.

I can understand people using Brighthouse for white goods, like fridges and washing machine, and even TV / PC as essentials in this day and age. Living in quite a disadvantaged area I see the Brighthouse Van quite a bit and they are just treating it like a rental. It's easy, quick and people can budget weekly payments.

I don't understand people using Brighthouse and such like for things like Sofa's and Beds, or any furniture really. Okay I'd love to have a NEW sofa but to be honest I am quite smug about my two matching Ikea sofas I got off ebay, one for £5 and one for £25 I couldn't justify to myself spending £1500 on a settee, even if I was just paying cash.

Ebay, British Heart Foundation are full of furniture. Even though prices have gone up somewhat you can still find a bargain, and I think I have mentioned before my house is all second hand furniture, even my fridge and cooker - they cost about £40 each and we borrowed a van to pick them up relatively locally.

I used to use the charity shop a lot more for furniture but their prices have risen, I used to get a chest of drawers including delivery to my house for around £15, now you're looking more at £50, so ebay is cheaper even with having to collect.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Problem is that a lot of people wont have secondhand they must have the latest most up to date gismos then they go to the companies like Brighthouse and get stung with high costs
        I think that is what the problem is and not necessarily 'gismos'. Brighthouse enable people to live in a fashion (appearance wise) to which they would like to become accustomed, and keep up with the Jones's and do pay a heavy price for it.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I wont mention any names but I have seen folks on here keeping up with Jones's so to speak. Even shot down Aldi, said the would not dream of shopping in there.'appen if they had the bailiffs may not have knocked on the door or been begging on here for help. Sorry just a private rant. xx

Comment

We use all the Supermarkets we have secondhand stuff we have furniture that's been kept good as new that's 10 12 15 years old we buy off bay we get stuff from freecycle,
            All our debts are at from 5 years ago or longer we eat well have no need for the latest gear.

Its to easy today as it has been for the last few years for people to get credit small loans and Paydayloans like us and I expect many on here money and possesions are not the be all and end all of it time to educate the population more on the real problems of debt I learnt as do many the hard way .

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              I wont mention any names but I have seen folks on here keeping up with Jones's so to speak. Even shot down Aldi, said the would not dream of shopping in there.'appen if they had the bailiffs may not have knocked on the door or been begging on here for help. Sorry just a private rant. xx

Ahhh I love Lidl now (and I used to be a bit of a snob too) - I can get a full trolley load of shopping for about £75 and I know the same shopping in Tesco would be nearer £200. 59p for a box of branflakes! bargain.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

In our town we have Sainsburys lidl and aldi after 7 in the evening on week nights except Friday Aldi is busier than Sainsburys says it all this is Oxfordshire a County with some of the wealthiest people in the Country living here

Comment

.We rent our white goods from Hughes electrical, this seems to work and repairs come included in the cost .

Comment

Up until last year I have to confess to doing a supermarket shop and not worrying unduly about the cost. Then my husband began to make me account for literally every penny I spent and I was in the position of having to beg for money.

Fast forward 6 months to the present. I am getting a divorce and on the advice of my solicitor I opened my own bank account into which my income of £300.00 a month is paid. I have to feed, clothe and run my car on that but I am happier than I have been for ages and have learned some valuable lessons about money too.

Comment

As mentioned - buy secondhand.

I note that the classifieds in my local paper have shrunk to nothing. I go to the dump and I see plenty of perfectly seviceable white goods there.

Why is this? Because the younger generation have an inflated sense of their own importance (only new is good enough), and been brought up to expect instant gratification (don't wait and save, borrow).

Comment

So do I, could not afford new, just changed washing machine for brand new one, call out is good will need a new fridge freezer shortly and would seriously consider renting instead of buying
                        If you are lucky, like our dish washer you can get a refurbished or return that is cheaper as well.

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
                        .We rent our white goods from Hughes electrical, this seems to work and repairs come included in the cost .
                        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

It is a problem retailing second hand white goods, ion that the manufactures indemnity is no longer effective, someone gets a shock and the retailer could be liable. Usually only the larger places like cash converters which have their own PAt testing facility feel safe enough to trade in them.(although you do get the odd market trader I notice)

Comment

There's a couple of dodgy freezers going free down the end of our street - though someone has spray painted big yellow X's on them and they have 'contaminated' stickers on. PMSL.

Actually I think BHF test electrical goods before putting them on sale. Their prices have gone up but still much cheaper than new.

Renting is a good option, especially for things like washing machines where many don't live longer than 3-5 years. But proper renting, not HP.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hughes is " proper" renting but think they only operate in East Anglia.
                              I have just recommended them to a friend and when they have an account up and running we both get vouchers to spend in the shop.
                              Last edited by dogtired; 10th April 2014, 03:29:AM. Reason: amending text
                              Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X