• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • Please note that LegalBeagles is a public forum and the main areas are accessible to all, and as such, please take care your username or posts do not identify you. There is no need to post claim numbers, names or precise amounts to get support with your case. When uploading documents please ensure that you have properly redacted your personal details. Thank you.

A question for bankworkers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A question for bankworkers

    I have just finished a telephone conversation with a mother who's now 18 year old son has had a bank account since being a small child (his gran opened it for him)

    On his 18th birthday he decided & did change his surname by deed poll to reflect the name of his step-dad who's been his proper dad since he was 4years old

    He & his gran visited the bank to see what would be required to change the name on his account & was informed by the manager that his deed poll plus proof of address would be sufficient.

    However when he next went to the bank he was told by the same manager that it' wouldn't be enough & that he would need a passport which of course he doesn't have as he has never been abroad.

    Does the bank really expect an 18 year old who's just left school to pay £80 for a passport when a) he can't afford it & b) he isn't required by law to have one.

    Before I tell you my response I have a question ................is this lawful and are the government trying to introduce ID cards via the back door by 'encouraging' the banks to insist on such ID evidence

  • #2
    Re: A question for bankworkers

    Is he working or studying?


    • #3
      Re: A question for bankworkers

      From the BBA leaflet on opening a bank account (proof of identity which I assume will be same proving old identity in order to use the deed poll info to change)

      What if I can’t provide the documents
      There are exceptional procedures in place to
      help customers who cannot provide the
      preferred documents. Don’t be put off by the
      mention of passports and driving licences.
      These tend to be the documents that are
      preferred because they are official documents
      and most people can provide them, but they are
      not the only way of enabling a bank to satisfy
      itself of your identity.
      Many people have reasonable grounds for not
      being able to produce the recommended documents. For example, they may have never
      been abroad, so do not have a passport, have
      never learnt to drive or their spouse may pay the
      council tax bill. To help in all these cases, all banks
      and building societies have procedures that
      permit other proofs of identity to be accepted.
      These procedures may, for example, include a
      letter from the matron of a residential care home
      for the elderly or a housing association tenancy
      Discuss with a member of staff what sorts of
      documents you can produce. If necessary, the
      member of staff can refer your application to
      someone who is authorised to decide in
      exceptional cases.
      Please remember though, the law requires that
      you must provide satisfactory proof of your
      identity. If you cannot meet this requirement, then
      under the law the bank or building society must
      not open an account for you.
      The British Bankers’ Association publishes a
      separate leaflet for international students and this
      is available from banks, universities and colleges.
      I'm away till the 24th August - please contact @Kati if needed

      “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

      Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

      If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

      Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com


      • #4
        Re: A question for bankworkers

        I guess he must have a birth certificate and proof of his name change, they should be evidence enough.
        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.


        • #5
          Re: A question for bankworkers

          Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          From the BBA leaflet on opening a bank account (proof of identity which I assume will be same proving old identity in order to use the deed poll info to change)

          Thanks for that .......Q under which law? ........& if they are referring to money laundering that's wrong, there is only guidance which is NOT part of statute

          He's only just finished his schooling & not yet working though he has applied for a clerical job at Scotland Yard
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          Originally posted by Happyolddog View Post
          I guess he must have a birth certificate and proof of his name change, they should be evidence enough.

          Yes but they changed their minds & have now refused to accept this evidence
          Last edited by righty; 19th February 2009, 19:01:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


          No announcement yet.

          upgrade to vip

          Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

          only £15/yr

          Offers available. No subscription traps.

          sign up now

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm