• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court bailiff visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court bailiff visit

Whilst I was out last week, I was visited by a court bailiff - I rang him as soon as I got home. He said he had to hand deliver forms from the court regarding a Cabot CCJ

It is for £1303 - its from a Vanquis debt. It went to court two years ago at my old address - haven't lived there in years and this is the first I have heard of the CCJ.

So as only now the court has found my new address they have sent the bailiff to hand deliver me the income and expenditure to fill in for an attachment of earnings. There is no arguing that I owe the money and I am willing to pay it back but don't really want it taken out of may pay - would happily send up a standing order. Would the court be likely to consider doing this if I explain this is the first I have heard of the judgement?

Next question is I don't really have much disposable income at all. How long are the court likely to give me for this kind of debt, I heard they only give you 6 months - That would leave me seriously up against it - I think I only have about £15-20 spare in my budget and with two kids that doesn't tend to last long.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Court bailiff visit

Who obtained the CCJ, Vanquis or a Debt Collection Agency?

Comment

Its in Cabots name, their solicitors were Mortimers

Comment

Originally posted by jojojo View Post
        Whilst I was out last week, I was visited by a court bailiff - I rang him as soon as I got home. He said he had to hand deliver forms from the court regarding a Cabot CCJ

It is for £1303 - its from a Vanquis debt. It went to court two years ago at my old address - haven't lived there in years and this is the first I have heard of the CCJ.

So as only now the court has found my new address they have sent the bailiff to hand deliver me the income and expenditure to fill in for an attachment of earnings. There is no arguing that I owe the money and I am willing to pay it back but don't really want it taken out of may pay - would happily send up a standing order. Would the court be likely to consider doing this if I explain this is the first I have heard of the judgement? Thanks
        The creditor would have made a request to the court for an application to have the debt deducted from your wages. You are probably best to speak with the creditor. The court will simply be carrying out the instructions (to serve you notice of the Attachment against Earnings) on behalf of the creditor.

Please post back once you have made the call.

Comment

I have spoken to them and they said that its in the courts hands, they said to make an offer of payment which the court would accept or not accept. The court said I can apply not to have it taken via attachment of earnings but not sure how to progress, if they decide my offer isn't high enough and take money out of my wages I could have a huge problem as I only earn £700 a month and £500 of that goes straight on rent.

Comment

I have spoken to them and they said that its in the courts hands, they said to make an offer of payment which the court would accept or not accept. The court said I can apply not to have it taken via attachment of earnings but not sure how to progress, if they decide my offer isn't high enough and take money out of my wages I could have a huge problem as I only earn £700 a month and £500 of that goes straight on rent.
            Good morning,

Make a financial statement , a detailed income & expenditure sheet.

List all income. and all out goings. priority debts e.g. Rent/mortgage, utility bills any other court fine or judgement debt, living costs. council tax
            etc. When you have done this you will arrive at a figure for your disposable income but deduct an amount for possible emergencies.

Use this to negotiate a payment plan with Cabot.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem

Thanks for your reply, Cabot said they wont negotiate with me - its up to the court to decide. Is it true they will expect it paid back in 6 months. As I can only really afford £15-£20 a months.

Thanks

Comment

Hi Nem

Thanks for your reply, Cabot said they wont negotiate with me - its up to the court to decide. Is it true they will expect it paid back in 6 months. As I can only really afford £15-£20 a months.

Thanks
                A court will not order you to pay more than you can reasonably afford without causing hardship so you must complete and I & E statement for the court.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X