• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales say we can afford more than we can

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales say we can afford more than we can

We have received letters from Rossendales regarding council tax arrears we completed a financial statement as requested and offered an affordable amount but stated that we were unable to pay anything till the end of the month due to my partner starting a new job after being made redundant and me returning after mat leave and we didn't get paid till then. They have stated they wand over double what we have offered which we cant afford but have also stated they want payment on the 13th we have been in touch and said that we are not in a position to make any payment on that date they have stated they have noted it but still want payment on that date and have stated we can afford this. We have about £100 to live on for the rest of the month and have a 9 month old baby but they say we can afford £255 by the 13th
    Tags: None

Re: Rossendales say we can afford more than we can

Originally posted by pingu123 View Post
    We have received letters from Rossendales regarding council tax arrears we completed a financial statement as requested and offered an affordable amount but stated that we were unable to pay anything till the end of the month due to my partner starting a new job after being made redundant and me returning after mat leave and we didn't get paid till then. They have stated they wand over double what we have offered which we cant afford but have also stated they want payment on the 13th we have been in touch and said that we are not in a position to make any payment on that date they have stated they have noted it but still want payment on that date and have stated we can afford this. We have about £100 to live on for the rest of the month and have a 9 month old baby but they say we can afford £255 by the 13th
    You need to be aware that in most cases the bailiff company are working on the instructions outlined in their contracts with the various local authorities. A lot of contracts stipulate that paymets terms should be restricted to 3 months with a maximum of 6 months. However.....a great deal of pressure is put on enforcement companies to get Liability Order debts cleared before the start of the new council tax billing year which starts in April. Councils do not like debts overrunning as repayment for an old debt could lead to arrears starting when new bills are sent shortly.

You have not said how much the Liability Order is for.

Was the payment proposal set up when you received the Notice of Enforcement or was a personal visit made (important to know so as to determine what fees have already been applied).

PS: Do either of you have a car parked outside and is it subject to finance?

Comment

There are 3 separate debts that total £1500 no one has visited the home we have just received letters through the post. Yes i have a car on the drive but without it will be unable to get to work as there is no public transport

Comment

There are 3 separate debts that total £1500 no one has visited the home we have just received letters through the post. Yes i have a car on the drive but without it will be unable to get to work as there is no public transport
        Hide the car or Dossers will try to take it. How old is it and what is it worth? Is it on HP?

Comment

Its only worth about £700 and is 10 years old. Not on finance

Comment

Its only worth about £700 and is 10 years old. Not on finance
            I would still move it out of sight or Dossers will try to have it, they cannot force entry and can add nothing else beyond the £75 Compliance fee, and the £235 Enforcement Fee if they call. If you don't let them in to take control of goods and the car isn't there they are relatively powerless.

Comment

HI Pingu

Does the £100 payment leave you enough to pay the ongoing CT bill as ell as your other commitments ?

If so perhaps a letter to the council outlining your payment proposal and pointing out that the minimum payment demanded by the EA would have to be borrowed, the repayments of which result in the current years payments going into arrears. Copy it to the EA.

Comment

If you can get in touch with your local Concillor(s) and make them aware that Rossendales are demanding unrealistic sums you cannot afford and ask they intervene at the Council for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                  If you can get in touch with your local Concillor(s) and make them aware that Rossendales are demanding unrealistic sums you cannot afford and ask they intervene at the Council for you.
                  Would the family be potentially vulnerable with low income and a 9 month old child might be worth making sure the councillors know your full situation, as if proven vulnerable Dossers are on a stickier wicket

Comment

The letter should be addressed to the CEO and entitled "formal complaint"

Outline the situation as per your post. State that Rossendales are ignoring government guide lines and are also trying to engineer a visit under the enforcement stage by demanding payment on a date that they know you will have no money.

As a resolution to the complaint, you ask for the chance to repay at an affordable rate and one which you can maintain. You also ask to begin payments when you have sufficient funds in the bank. You also ask that enforcement is suspended while the complaint is investigated

Comment

I would suggest that you email Rossendale's this morning to advise them that you have reviewed your expenses and there is simply no way at all that you can increase the repayment proposal and that if a visit is to be made to your property you will not permit a bailiff entry into the home and that although you have a car it is vital to your employment and in any event, should be considered exempt given that it is worth a maximum of £700 if sold privately and a fraction of this if sold at auction.

Make sure that you advise them that you cannot borrow any money from family or friends and that you will review the expenditure in 3 month time to see whether a slight increase is affordable.

Comment

We have emailed them regarding the payment and started that we have no way of paying anything till the end of the month. They responded saying thank you for your email it has been noted however you can afford the payment and we will not change the date. I have no idea how they can say that i feel like showing them my bank statement and purse as until the end of the month i have just about enough money to buy nappies and food for my baby.

Comment

We have emailed them regarding the payment and started that we have no way of paying anything till the end of the month. They responded saying thank you for your email it has been noted however you can afford the payment and we will not change the date. I have no idea how they can say that i feel like showing them my bank statement and purse as until the end of the month i have just about enough money to buy nappies and food for my baby.
                          Send in that Formal Complaint to CEO as suggested by L.Bizzy, copy it to your Local Council Member and the Council elected leader, point them to this thread also .

Phone your local councillor telling them everything you have posted here, they should be able to ask what the hell Dossers are playing at trying to engineer a default before you even have a chance to pay.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X