• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

So, the government's doing away with tax discs ...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, the government's doing away with tax discs ...........

Originally posted by Tools View Post
    Just my personal opinion.

I think the phasing out of tax discs makes sense in todays world. However, I agree that there could be/will be problems arising from this, one of them being Bailiffs who do not carry out the correct checks.

I also see many other issues with it and they need to be identified now and addressed before they become a problem. One quite major one is the registration online, not everyone has online access. I assume as you pay for your tax, whether it be online, at the Post Office or via Direct Debit, there will be a trigger/marker placed on DVLA`s database which instantly shows the vehicle is taxed.

If so then this would be easily accessible to those that need to know, DVLA, Police, Insurers and yes.....even Bailiffs. With todays technology I am sure that a Bailiff can quickly see the status of tax on a vehicle and need not have to wait 3? days to hear back from the DVLA.

MD ( and others ) does it cost a Bailiff to carry out a check with the DVLA? I genuinely do not know.
    If you go here:

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

You will see that today 8/12/13 it tells you that the last time the site was updated was on 22/11/13 over 2 weeks ago!

ServiceGet vehicle information from DVLA

Not what you're looking for? ↓You can check online to find out what information the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) holds about a vehicle.

What you need to know
    Last updated: 22 November 2013

The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      Why?

As far as I know, we do not (yet) have bionic or actually robotic policemen; some might behave like automata, but I believe they are still fully biological.

That is only one of the problems. Another is spotting untaxed vehicles, whilst another is the propensity for the DVLA to make mistakes.

The police may be able to tell quickly - by means of a call to HQ - whether a vehicle is insured or taxed, but it would still be a lot slower than looking along a line of parked vehicles to see which either had the wrong colour of tax disc or no disc displayed at all. The Mark 1 eyeball is still a lot faster than a manually operated computer check.

The stated reason for this silliness by the kakistocracy is that it would "save" £7,000,000 a year in admin costs. The sensible answer to that is to increase Vehicle Excise Duty by £1 per year for motor-bikes and motor-cars, and by £3 per year for lorries and heavier vehicles.

It would cost the company, in the same way that data from the DVLA is sold to the private parking parasites.
      Spot on!.......no wonder you were baptized CleverClogs!
      The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        Monkeydrunk
        Are you a Bailiff or Ex Bailiff
        Me thinks Monkey Drunk is a short fat b:censored:d (desriptive not intended to be offensive) who is in charge of training in one of the big Enforcement agency, if he is, I had the pleasure of discussing the issue of an accredited training system for Certified....I mean Certificated.... Bailiffs to help the industry regain the :respect: it used to have.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge;393711]
          Originally posted by bluebottle View Post

I think Monkey drunk was referring to rogue bailiffs
          That's who I was referring to, Sir Vere.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
            Me thinks Monkey Drunk is a short fat b:censored:d (desriptive not intended to be offensive) who is in charge of training in one of the big Enforcement agency, if he is, I had the pleasure of discussing the issue of an accredited training system for Certified....I mean Certificated.... Bailiffs to help the industry regain the :respect: it used to have.
            I feel you may be correct in your analysis that some bailiffs are or should be certified. :grin:

Comment

I feel you may be correct in your analysis that some bailiffs are or should be certified. :grin:
              I am both, hence the "handle"

Comment

I am aware of Section 29 of the Data Protection Act 1998 and refer to it on my website, but an parking allegation is neither a crime nor a form of taxation. Further the references to processing of data are fine as the DPA makes provision for processing of data by outsourced companies. It is the sharing of personal information with third parties which cause the problems. Processing and sharing are not the same

Section 28 (National Security) doesn't apply either and nor does Section 35 (Legal Proceedings) and there are no judicial proceedings in parking. Appointing bailiffs to collect an allegation are not legal proceedings.

The DVLA agrees with me in emails on all three points and does not attempt to use any as a justification to share personal information.

Although unwitting Monkey Drunk at least emphasised that the core of my original post - that it is assumptions and presumptions concerning statutes and rules which do not exist - which form the core of parking enforcement

Comment

I think the whole civil parking scram is a hotch-potch of misinformation with one aim only, to milk motorists until the teats bleed.

Ohh 'eck, I appear to have morphed into a Rottweiler! best dog apart from a Jack Russell or Westie to present a bailiff to.

Comment

I am both, hence the "handle"
                    There's no answer to that! Lol!

Comment

Today I realised the answer to one of my previous questions

Does it cost a Bailiff to check the tax status of a vehicle (or words to that effect)
                      Today I realised the answer, no it doesn`t, any vehicle can be checked for free without the need for data protection etc

You can carry out a vehicle enquiry here https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Ev...vehicleenquiry
                      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Fair-Parking View Post
                        I am aware of Section 29 of the Data Protection Act 1998 and refer to it on my website, but an parking allegation is neither a crime nor a form of taxation. Further the references to processing of data are fine as the DPA makes provision for processing of data by outsourced companies. It is the sharing of personal information with third parties which cause the problems. Processing and sharing are not the same

Section 28 (National Security) doesn't apply either and nor does Section 35 (Legal Proceedings) and there are no judicial proceedings in parking. Appointing bailiffs to collect an allegation are not legal proceedings.

The DVLA agrees with me in emails on all three points and does not attempt to use any as a justification to share personal information.

Although unwitting Monkey Drunk at least emphasised that the core of my original post - that it is assumptions and presumptions concerning statutes and rules which do not exist - which form the core of parking enforcement
                        Let's draw a scenario and I will ask a couple of questions, then you can give me the possible solution.

Scenario: I live in a house in town centre with a very large drive, no gates, no fences, just an open space that I have concreted over because I hate cutting grass. In front of this drive the curb accessing the highway has been dropped by the Council (at my expense) and they painted a nice solid white line with clear end/start "T" to the line, there is a clear sign at both end of the drive that states "Private Property" do not enter, you will be prosecuted for trespassing, your remains will be prosecuted after my dog has had his day etc. etc. etc. and yet some numpty has decided to park on my land, despite a warning that vehicles will be clamped if this happens and the removal fee is £100 and a further charge of £80 for all day non authorised parking....so there you are, I wake up in the morning, and 8 cars (not mine or my family's) are parked on my drive. I clamp the lot, take pictures of each one, making sure that in the same photo I have: the number plate, the clamp and the sign that says "Bugger off".

I go to the office and when I come back the drive is empty for the exeption of 8 clamps which have been cut and left behind.

I toddle off to the nearest County Court and file a small claim for each clamp adddressed to the registered keeper of the said 8 cars, the Clerk of the Court says to me: sorry you need a name and an address, so I wonder down the nearest Kop Shop and the nice person at the reception desk says: sorry this is a Civil Matter and we can not tell you who the RK is for those vehicles because of the DPA.

Question 1: Am I right in thinking that I should be able to recover the cost of fixing my clamps?

Question 2: Am I right in thinking that I am still entitled to my £80 for each car that parked illegally on my land despite the large signs saying don't do this and £100 for the clamping?

Question 3: Who do I go to next to recover the cost of fixing my clamps?
                        Last edited by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge; 9th December 2013, 04:51:AM. Reason: spelling has never been my forte!

Comment

Basically, unless you put up some form of barrier to indicate no public parking is permitted, you are giving what is known as an Invitation to Encroach. The application of clamps would be illegal, in any case, due to PoFA, but may also amount to Unlawful Interference With Property and Unlawful Detention of Property.

Comment

Basically, unless you put up some form of barrier to indicate no public parking is permitted, you are giving what is known as an Invitation to Encroach. The application of clamps would be illegal, in any case, due to PoFA, but may also amount to Unlawful Interference With Property and Unlawful Detention of Property.
                            You forgot theft by finding:27:

Comment

You forgot theft by finding:27:
                              Interesting angle and one I hadn't thought of, Sir Vere. Have you seen the video where a clamper had their tow truck seized by Birmingham Trading Standards and the clamper and his OH were nicked for Blackmail? They say revenge is a dish best served cold. In that case, revenge was sweet for those who had fallen victim to the barsteward.

Comment

Is that one up on the 'tube?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X