• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita - Bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita - Bailiffs

Hello,

I just wanted to tell you about my current discussion with Equita Bailiffs as a documentation of what is going on for others. I have taken great comfort in reading about how other people have dealt with these problems and would like to "pay it forward".

My problem started with me driving accidentally into the London Congestion Zone in July 2012. I realised at the time that I would probably need to pay, and a couple of days later, I tried online, but you can only pay on the day or the next day - after that, you get a fine (at least that is how I understood it).

I decided to wait for the fine to come, but none was forthcoming. I considered myself lucky that the cameras had not been working. However, in the beginning of February 2013, I got a bundle of letters forwarded from my second previous address. In it, I see that TFL has demanded £180 fine, then went to court, and I owed £200.

Equita was then engaged - they sent a letter in January to the same address telling me to pay up (I was unaware at this point).

When I got the bundle of letters, I called the bailiff immediately, but he did not answer. I went online to Equita and paid my £200, but apparently typed in the wrong reference number. I then got a reply from the bailiff saying that no money had been received and I now owed £560!

I paid this immediately as I was going abroad and could not reach Equita to ask anything (their number does not work from abroad).

I asked for a breakdown of the costs, and the bailiff just said "costs" - I asked via Equita's website, and I have yet to get anything (only a week), but have got confirmation that they are "working on it" over the phone.

I have also asked for a refund of the £200 wrong payment, and they said that the turnaround is 7 - 10 days, so I am waiting until next week to see what happens then. I am nervous that if I complain too much, the refund will not materialise. One step at a time.

I am also, based on advice on this website, sending them a letter asking formally for a breakdown of the payments and will take them all the way to court if necessary.

Overall, I regret being so careless, but I was totally unaware that this kind of legalised robbery was so rampant in the UK!

i will report back what happens - in the mean time, stand together, fight this immoral and reprehensible industry!

Zwanesh
    Tags: None

Re: Equita - Bailiffs

Are you saying you never received the original documentation from TfL? If you had moved address this should give the opportunity to file an Out of Time Declaration to the relevant authorities. Please do ensure you send off for the breakdown of their fees, they do have a habit of missing dates off them however so you may need to chase them up.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X