• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

can bailiffs force me to pay in full.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can bailiffs force me to pay in full.

Good morning everyone.

Im really hoping somebody can advise me. This morning I got up to find a letter through my door (hand delivered) from Marstons for the sum of £751. This is for an unpaid fine. What happened was Around 6 years ago i got a fine for unpaid car tax. At the time I was going through some personal issues and had to move home and to be honest I completely forgot about this as I had by this time developed severe anxiety issues, anyway back to it. About a week ago I came home to find a letter through my door from a bailiff but as I have just recently moved here and the letter had no name on it (hand again) I presummed it was not for me and discarded it (silly). This letter states at the top that despite previous notifications and attendances I have failed to pay and I must pay in full immediately. Apart from the letter last week I have had no other letters or *attendances* (*to my knowledge as I work) and I am really scared and feel sick now that they are going to demand full payment as I do not have that money to give them. I have also been told that I do not have to let them in to my property and that they should be allowed to accept a payment plan. Please can somebody help as it states in the letter he is calling back today around 7pm.

Kind regards

Pam
    Tags: None

Re: can bailiffs force me to pay in full.

I assume this is for a Magistrates Court Fine?

Comment

Were you in court when the fine was imposed? Also, were your means examined at the time? If not, a recent Judicial Review may put things in a different light. Could you answer these two questions, please?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

what review is this and what were the findings?

Comment

Thanks for answering my post. No I was not in court when the fine was imposed and My means where not examined at the time. Thanks again Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Chippieb721 View Post
            Thanks for answering my post. No I was not in court when the fine was imposed and My means where not examined at the time. Thanks again Pam
            Right. You need to go back to the court that imposed the fine and ask for a Means Hearing. The JR has made it quite clear to magistrates courts that they cannot impose or enforce fines without examining the means of the defendant. The court staff may try and fob you off by saying you are not entitled to a Means Hearing. Keep badgering them until they do.

Could you explain why you were not in court when the fine was imposed?

Comment

Originally posted by hello all View Post
              what review is this and what were the findings?
              This link will take you to the JR - http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean

In layman's terms, the JR confirms that a court cannot impose or enforce a fine against a defendant without examining their means. Also, the period of time in which they are given to pay the fine must be realistic, but no more than three years.

Comment

Might be worth mentioning the Judicial Review, linked by bluebottle, when contacting the court office, to add weight to the request.

I feel this JR is going to cause problems for Certificated bailiffs andf their fees when collecting fines imposed where defendant was not present, wonder if the Judge intended this.

Comment

The judge branded the HMCTS computer system and Means Form "not fit for purpose". That is pretty damning. What the JR highlights is a judicial system in disarray as a result of years of neglect and political interference.

If the JR causes problems for certificated bailiffs and their fees in the circumstances BizzyBob describes, tough. I can see HMCTS being forced to review cases and, where injustice has occurred, redress being offered.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    The judge branded the HMCTS computer system and Means Form "not fit for purpose". That is pretty damning. What the JR highlights is a judicial system in disarray as a result of years of neglect and political interference.

If the JR causes problems for certificated bailiffs and their fees in the circumstances BizzyBob describes, tough. I can see HMCTS being forced to review cases and, where injustice has occurred, redress being offered.
                    Is there a suggestion that there are other undisclosed fines included within the amount claimed, as in the JR ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X